kit kit is offline

Default CE Category System

The EU uses a system for rating the seaworthiness of boats built in
Europe that uses "CE" designations. Can anyone tell me what the
definitions of the different CE marks are? I have searched the web
unsuccessfully.
No Name

"kit" wrote in message
The EU uses a system for rating the seaworthiness of boats built in
Europe that uses "CE" designations. Can anyone tell me what the
definitions of the different CE marks are? I have searched the web
unsuccessfully.

The CE designation is like the STIX (stabilisation index) vendors and
dealers are not too amenable to talk about it or to provide information.

At this time, this CE certification is mainly used in Europe. A few US
sailboat builders are starting to produce boats to that certification.

In an egg shell the CE mark means that the boat meets or exceeds ISO
(International Organization and Standardization Standard and directives) in
effect at the time of manufacture.

Copying for the specifications listed in my present boat manual:

The design categories a

A: OCEAN -- Designed for extended voyages where condition may exceed wind
force 8 (Beaufort scale) and wave height of 4 m (13.0 ft)

B; OFFSHORE -- Designed for offshore where conditions up to, and including,
wind force 8 and wave height up to, and including, 13.0 ft.

C: INSHORE -- Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays. estuaries,
lakes and river where condition up to, and including wind force 6 and wave
height up to 6' 6" feet.

D: SHELTERED WATER-- Designed for small lakes, river and canals up to wind
force 4 and wave height of 1'6" feet.

The CE Certified equipment includes: The fuel tanks , parts of the steering
system, parts of the gas system and the hatched and portholes.

See: http://www.ceproof.com/recreational_...htm#Categories

Unfortunately your expanation is not quite complete. All you stated was true
and it is very similar to UL approval in the states, but what is not stated
is just what regulations the item with the CE label complies to. The label
simply states that there is some compliance to some ISO standard(s). The
purchaser must ask the distributor for the certificate(s) to know and be
aware that all regulations do not have to be complied with to wear the CE
label, only one will do. To sell in Europe you must have a CE label. CE
compliance can be asked for by either the manufacturer or a seller. This
process does not eliminate the requirement for "Due Dilligence" on the part
of the buyer. Of course this small fact is never mentioned. The EU would not
want Joe Public to know of this huge gaping hole in their process.
Steve

wrote in message

"kit" wrote in message
The EU uses a system for rating the seaworthiness of boats built in
Europe that uses "CE" designations. Can anyone tell me what the
definitions of the different CE marks are? I have searched the web
unsuccessfully.

The CE designation is like the STIX (stabilisation index) vendors and
dealers are not too amenable to talk about it or to provide information.

At this time, this CE certification is mainly used in Europe. A few US
sailboat builders are starting to produce boats to that certification.

In an egg shell the CE mark means that the boat meets or exceeds ISO
(International Organization and Standardization Standard and directives)
in effect at the time of manufacture.

Copying for the specifications listed in my present boat manual:

The design categories a

A: OCEAN -- Designed for extended voyages where condition may exceed wind

wrote in message

"kit" wrote in message
The EU uses a system for rating the seaworthiness of boats built in
Europe that uses "CE" designations. Can anyone tell me what the
definitions of the different CE marks are? I have searched the web
unsuccessfully.

The CE designation is like the STIX (stabilisation index) vendors and
dealers are not too amenable to talk about it or to provide information.

At this time, this CE certification is mainly used in Europe. A few US
sailboat builders are starting to produce boats to that certification.

In an egg shell the CE mark means that the boat meets or exceeds ISO
(International Organization and Standardization Standard and directives)
in effect at the time of manufacture.

Copying for the specifications listed in my present boat manual:

The design categories a

A: OCEAN -- Designed for extended voyages where condition may exceed wind
force 8 (Beaufort scale) and wave height of 4 m (13.0 ft)

B; OFFSHORE -- Designed for offshore where conditions up to, and
including, wind force 8 and wave height up to, and including, 13.0 ft.

C: INSHORE -- Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays.
estuaries, lakes and river where condition up to, and including wind
force 6 and wave height up to 6' 6" feet.

D: SHELTERED WATER-- Designed for small lakes, river and canals up to
wind force 4 and wave height of 1'6" feet.

The CE Certified equipment includes: The fuel tanks , parts of the
steering system, parts of the gas system and the hatched and portholes.

See: http://www.ceproof.com/recreational_...htm#Categories

Steve, I concur with your reply.

However, the original question was "Can anyone tell me what the
definitions of the different CE marks are?"

My reply was aimed at providing the definitions of the different CE marks.

It was not indented to validate their merits or worthiness of the CE marks.

If you want to open a new tread on the merits, payback and advantages of
having a sailboat build to a CE certification or UL, I'll be more than
please to expose my views.

kit kit is offline

On Feb 2, 8:18 am, wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
.. .

"kit" wrote in message
The EU uses asystemfor rating the seaworthiness of boats built in
Europe that uses "CE" designations. Can anyone tell me what the
definitions of the differentCEmarks are? I have searched the web
unsuccessfully.

TheCEdesignation is like the STIX (stabilisation index) vendors and
dealers are not too amenable to talk about it or to provide information.

At this time, thisCEcertification is mainly used in Europe. A few US
sailboat builders are starting to produce boats to that certification.

In an egg shell theCEmarkmeans that the boat meets or exceeds ISO
(International Organization and Standardization Standard and directives)
in effect at the time of manufacture.

Copying for the specifications listed in my present boat manual:

The design categories a

A: OCEAN -- Designed for extended voyages where condition may exceed wind
[...]

Thank you, gentlemen. That was very helpful, but I would be pleased
for a bit more explanation. To use an example, I have been reviewing
sales brochures for two Jeanneau sailboats, the 39i and the 39DS.
Jeanneau lists CE Category A-9 / B-10 / C-12 for the 39i and A-8 /
B-10 / C-12 for the 39DS. The question I have is: why is there more
than one CE mark for each boat, what are the numerical designations,
and why would one be A-9 and the other A-8 when they are nearly
identical boats?
Many thanks

In article
,
kit wrote:

Thank you, gentlemen. That was very helpful, but I would be pleased
for a bit more explanation. To use an example, I have been reviewing
sales brochures for two Jeanneau sailboats, the 39i and the 39DS.
Jeanneau lists CE Category A-9 / B-10 / C-12 for the 39i and A-8 /
B-10 / C-12 for the 39DS. The question I have is: why is there more
than one CE mark for each boat, what are the numerical designations,
and why would one be A-9 and the other A-8 when they are nearly
identical boats?

Most likely the numbers are permitted crew size for the respective range.
Otherwise feel free to ask Jeanneau at www.jeanneau.fr.

HTH

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com
No Name

"Marc Heusser" d wrote in
message ...
In article
,
kit wrote:

Thank you, gentlemen. That was very helpful, but I would be pleased
for a bit more explanation. To use an example, I have been reviewing
sales brochures for two Jeanneau sailboats, the 39i and the 39DS.
Jeanneau lists CE Category A-9 / B-10 / C-12 for the 39i and A-8 /
B-10 / C-12 for the 39DS. The question I have is: why is there more
than one CE mark for each boat, what are the numerical designations,
and why would one be A-9 and the other A-8 when they are nearly
identical boats?

Most likely the numbers are permitted crew size for the respective range.
Otherwise feel free to ask Jeanneau at www.jeanneau.fr.

HTH

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com

As stated by Marc, asking Jeanneau is the best way to find out.
In my book, the Maximum recommended number of persons on board by design
category:
A = 6 Persons, B = 7 Persons, C = 8 and D = 10.

Some builders will states in their manuals that the CE certification is
"Pending".
This means that it is not yet approved. The no. of the acknowledged body
should be specified.
Example, CE 0607.

kit kit is offline

On Feb 4, 6:41 am, wrote:
"Marc Heusser" d wrote in

In article
,
kit wrote:

[...]

Again, Thanks. Can you provide me with a link or other direction to a
reference that would explain the CE Category use and application.
While I intend to contact Jeanneau, it would be helpful to obtain more
in depth background information on this classification system.