Wendy

Default Cape Dory 36

This one is shaping up to be an excellent boat to focus on. I've heard
almost nothing negative about it, they are in my price range, and they do
NOT have teak decks! There are a dozen or so listed for sale on the East
Coast; perhaps I can get out that way this spring to have a look. In the
meantime, if anyone has any experience with or knowledge of these boats,
please let me know what your thoughts are. If anyone in the Galveston Bay
area happens to be reading this and is a Cape Dory (any size) owner, I'd
love to pick your brain and have a look at your boat, if that's at all
possible.

Wendy

DSK

Wendy wrote:

This one is shaping up to be an excellent boat to focus on. I've heard
almost nothing negative about it, they are in my price range, and they do
NOT have teak decks!

Wendy, the CD 36 is a nice boat (more comments below) but I think you're going
about this wrong-way to. Instead of deciding in advance "*THE* perfect boat is
the XYZ-100, and that is what I'm going to focus on" try just taking an
unfocussed look at boats available in your area. With a minimum investment in
time & money & travel & heartache, you can get your toes wet and go poking
around on some boats. This will give you a chance to put into practice some of
what you've learned about evaluating boats, and it will toughen up your hide
for dealing with the inevitable broker when you do find the right one.

Also: good work getting out on the Ranger 33.

There are a dozen or so listed for sale on the East
Coast; perhaps I can get out that way this spring to have a look. In the
meantime, if anyone has any experience with or knowledge of these boats,
please let me know what your thoughts are. If anyone in the Galveston Bay
area happens to be reading this and is a Cape Dory (any size) owner, I'd
love to pick your brain and have a look at your boat, if that's at all
possible.

We have some good friends who had a series of Cape Dories up to the 36, they
kept wanting something 'a little bit bigger' before they started cruising for
real. They did make a trip to Bermuda and back on the CD 36, the comment was
that it too was not big enough. Of course your mileage may vary, but one item
to keep in mind is that the old fashioned seakindly hull is not roomy for it's
length. They also are a bit pokey and tend to motor a lot (our friends also
said they needed more tankage). But they certainly earned their reputation for
being solidly built, and they are great looking boats.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Debbie Griggs

Check out http://www.toolworks.com/capedory

Lots of CD owners frequent the board there. I find a lot of interesting
discussion and helpful hints for my Bayfield.

Peace
Jerry

"Wendy" wrote in message
ervers.com...
This one is shaping up to be an excellent boat to focus on. I've heard
almost nothing negative about it, they are in my price range, and they do
NOT have teak decks! There are a dozen or so listed for sale on the East
Coast; perhaps I can get out that way this spring to have a look. In the
meantime, if anyone has any experience with or knowledge of these boats,
please let me know what your thoughts are. If anyone in the Galveston Bay
area happens to be reading this and is a Cape Dory (any size) owner, I'd
love to pick your brain and have a look at your boat, if that's at all
possible.

Wendy

Wendy

"DSK" wrote in message
Wendy, the CD 36 is a nice boat (more comments below) but I think you're

going
about this wrong-way to.

Story of my life

try just taking an
unfocussed look at boats available in your area. With a minimum investment

in
time & money & travel & heartache, you can get your toes wet and go poking
around on some boats. This will give you a chance to put into practice

some of
what you've learned about evaluating boats, and it will toughen up your

hide
for dealing with the inevitable broker when you do find the right one.

Yeah, this is sound advice. I've learned to be wary of my impulses, and
truth be told I may change my mind several times before I buy. I haven't
the money in hand right now, so that insulates me from doing something
stupid. so I'll use the time between now and when I am ready to buy wisely,
by crewing other people's boats. In this way I am sure to find what I do
and don't want in a boat.

Also: good work getting out on the Ranger 33.

Thanks! I hope I'm in demand as race crew around here. There are various
offshore races held in the area, along with the Harvest Moon race from
Galveston to the Corpus Christi area (which the Ranger participates in), as
well as the long race from Galveston to Veracruz. Dunno if I can swing the
time off for the race to Mexico, but it would be a great opportunity if I
were asked to go. I've no experience racing- who knows, I may get quite
taken with it and decide I don't want a dedicated cruiser after all (which,
of course, reinforces your above point).

We have some good friends who had a series of Cape Dories up to the 36,

they
kept wanting something 'a little bit bigger' before they started cruising

for
real. They did make a trip to Bermuda and back on the CD 36, the comment

was
that it too was not big enough.

This size thing is what struck me about Pacific Seacrafts. Stepping off the
Cheoy Lee 36 onto the Crealock 34 was vastly different than the two feet
would indicate. I may well find Cape Dory's to be the same. The Tayana 37
is hands down the most liveable of the boats I have seen so far.

Thanks Doug, and I'll post later Saturday about the racing experience. If
I'm not frozen.

Wendy

Evan Gatehouse

"DSK" wrote in message

We have some good friends who had a series of Cape Dories up to the 36,

they
kept wanting something 'a little bit bigger' before they started cruising

for
real. They did make a trip to Bermuda and back on the CD 36, the comment

was
that it too was not big enough. Of course your mileage may vary, but one

item
to keep in mind is that the old fashioned seakindly hull is not roomy for

it's
length. They also are a bit pokey and tend to motor a lot (our friends

also
said they needed more tankage). But they certainly earned their reputation

for
being solidly built, and they are great looking boats.

The comments on the CD 36 are pretty accurate. Narrow beamed boats are
_lot_ less roomy than wider beamed boats of similar length.

I think first time N.American cruisers look for a heavy boat that they think
is safe. Europeans tend toward more modern performance boats as a rule
(maybe because they didn't have all those imports from Taiwan to look at?).

If I heard a common refrain from offshore cruisers when we were sailing is
they all wished for a better performing boat. Me too but I've now got a 40'
catamaran that should go fairly quickly.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Ronald Hugh Roberts

In article ,
Wendy wrote:

"DSK" wrote in message
Wendy, the CD 36 is a nice boat (more comments below) but I think you're

going
about this wrong-way to.

Story of my life

[snip]

Thanks! I hope I'm in demand as race crew around here. There are various
offshore races held in the area, along with the Harvest Moon race from
Galveston to the Corpus Christi area (which the Ranger participates in), as
well as the long race from Galveston to Veracruz.

If you're in Texas, looking for boats for sale, I recommend you check out
Tigger, a 37 foot Tartan for sale in Palacios. This boat has been around
the world. It was featured in a Cruising World article in December of
2002 (I think that's the issue).

The asking price $ 52k. Don't have contact info, but it's at the Serendipity
Resort and Marina.

ron
--
Ron Roberts or Phone (512) 219-0043
Usenet invented "no controlling legal authority."

Cape Ann HV sewnuts Boat Building 0 June 16th 04 01:05 AM
Cape Fear Performance Report Matt Langenfeld Boat Building 6 March 28th 04 03:07 PM
Flatbottom Dory: Speed, seaworthy? Lloyd Sumpter Boat Building 11 March 1st 04 03:11 PM
working dory paint Mike Brannon Boat Building 17 December 18th 03 08:53 AM
Advice on Boats to Look At? Bill M. Cruising 3 August 3rd 03 03:19 PM