Mike Brannon

Default working dory paint

Greetings to the group,
I'm building a dory from a John Gardner book. It is a simple swampscott
tender model. I have done a ocean of research on these craft and have yet
to come across a description of the paint color scheme. All the pretty
coffee table books with wood boats show few dories. All the old photos that
I have found are black & white. So folks, what traditonal colors would look
good on my dory (inside,outside,trim)?

PS. I picked up a new Jet 14" bandsaw recently. It is the deluxe model with
a 1 1/4hp motor. It is plenty powerful for oak and is remarkably quiet.
The "do it yourself- backyard boatbuilder" this is about the largest saw to
own without going commercial. For those of you that may be hunting for a
wood band saw I rate it tops. Unfortunately it doesn't come with a fence.
The Jet folks need to step up and offer one with the saw. :-(

Best regards,
Michael Brannon

Michael Porter

Well, color scheme is pretty much up to . he user, but I built a lot
of dories at one time, and left to myself I used SG white for the
outside, some kind of medium buff for the interior, and dark green
(Nantrucket Green) for the rail. Many of the Banks dories (which is
not what you are building) were painted buff inside and out.

Michael Porter

"Mike Brannon" wrote:

[...]

Michael Porter Naval Architect / Boatbuilder
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com
Bert & Eileen Plank

Hi, here in Newfoundland....."Dory Country".....we have alwaly used
battleship Grey trimmed with green or Dory Buff trimmed with green and of
course red antifouling on the botom.

Bert
Newfoundland Canada

[...]

Brian D

Keeping in mind of course that although the colors you mention are fairly
traditional, that dories were often painted with a paint scheme that
identified them with the mother ship. But basic buffs, grays, greens, and
oranges were common...

Brian

"Bert & Eileen Plank" wrote in message
[...]

stevej

Here are two links to pictures I took of some real working dories on
Grand Manan Island. Everyone's dory, and there were a lot of them, was
painted a different color. These boats were used for harvesting Dulse
weed which is dried and sold as food.
The dories had plastic looking bottom protecting panels that they said
were "teflon". I asked the builder fellow, who built most of the dories,
where he got the design and he said they were basically Lunenburg dories
that were modified at the stern to accept a long shaft outboard.
This is one of the few places I've seen in eastern Canada where real
simple woodenboats are used for real work. except mabey the few
remaining wood lobster boats in Maine.
I wonder if anyone else knows of any other examples?
http://www.geocities.com/boats2build2003/300dories.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/boats2build2003/300dories2.jpg
SteveJ

Bert & Eileen Plank wrote:
[...]

stevej

Actually, now that I think of it, the most common color was a bright
yellow. I remember one owner saying it showed up best in a fog. Bright
colors predominated.

Mike Brannon wrote:

[...]

Mike Brannon

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
I recollect some New Bedford fish boats which had on the wheelhouse top a

dory
or two painted international orange. I 'spect that it was in the interest

of
visibility.

Wow! That(international orange) would be a bit too loud me thinks.(smiles) I
do thank you for the suggestion..under the conditions a boat far from land
would benefit from the visibility standpoint.
Actually I think something softer. I think that the buff (thinking buff=
lighter and flat) would do nicely for the hull as in buff yellow. Accent
color for the rail/sheer strake maybe the bright green.
Since my little tender will represent a workboat I think that the grey
interior will suit it best. Thanks to all who replied. especially steveJ
and Rick Hayes who sent me some great pics. Really appreciate it!

Regards Mke Brannon