desertsailor

Default Murray Winch Bearings

Hello All!

I've been trying to track down a North American source for murray
winch parts. There's a fellow in NZ who can get the parts, but that's
a lot of shipping, particularly since what I really need is the
bearings (pawls and springs can wait), and I'm pretty sure these are
not produced in NZ in the first place.

What I've got is the "two-speed" winches, which have a ratchet on the
top, and a worm gear on the bottom. The bearings are a conical set of
needle bearings in a cage, that support the weight of the drum.
Anyone with experience on these? Please post here, as I'm sure other
murray devotees would appreciate the info.

Many thanks in advance!
fraggy

hiya
Have you tried a bearing manufacturer ? someone like SKF stock bearings of
all types for 99% of all applications.
If they dont have the exact bearing you could get the next best size and
mod the winch or bearing to accept it.

fragged

"desertsailor" wrote in message
m...
Hello All!

I've been trying to track down a North American source for murray
winch parts. There's a fellow in NZ who can get the parts, but that's
a lot of shipping, particularly since what I really need is the
bearings (pawls and springs can wait), and I'm pretty sure these are
not produced in NZ in the first place.

What I've got is the "two-speed" winches, which have a ratchet on the
top, and a worm gear on the bottom. The bearings are a conical set of
needle bearings in a cage, that support the weight of the drum.
Anyone with experience on these? Please post here, as I'm sure other
murray devotees would appreciate the info.

Many thanks in advance!

Brian Cleverly

As someone else has suggested, try a local bearing stockist.

NZ manufacturers routinely use off-the-shelf bearing as much as
possible.

As regards shipping from NZ, it is not too expensive relative to such in
the USA.

I ship items from NZ all the time and to give you an example, I can
airfreight NZ to LAX for less than the same shipment costs (by road)
from LAX to Santa Barbara (just up the coast a bit).

Things like bearings can be sent through the postal service. Don't
forget the exchange rate is in your favor (tho not as much as it used to
be).

Brian Cleverly

desertsailor wrote:

Hello All!

I've been trying to track down a North American source for murray
winch parts. There's a fellow in NZ who can get the parts, but that's
a lot of shipping, particularly since what I really need is the
bearings (pawls and springs can wait), and I'm pretty sure these are
not produced in NZ in the first place.

What I've got is the "two-speed" winches, which have a ratchet on the
top, and a worm gear on the bottom. The bearings are a conical set of
needle bearings in a cage, that support the weight of the drum.
Anyone with experience on these? Please post here, as I'm sure other
murray devotees would appreciate the info.

Many thanks in advance!

Michael

Wooden Boat Foundation sells them and can get the parts through there
supplier. www.woodenboat.org
in Port Townsend WA 360-385-4742

"desertsailor" wrote in message
m...
Hello All!

I've been trying to track down a North American source for murray
winch parts. There's a fellow in NZ who can get the parts, but that's
a lot of shipping, particularly since what I really need is the
bearings (pawls and springs can wait), and I'm pretty sure these are
not produced in NZ in the first place.

What I've got is the "two-speed" winches, which have a ratchet on the
top, and a worm gear on the bottom. The bearings are a conical set of
needle bearings in a cage, that support the weight of the drum.
Anyone with experience on these? Please post here, as I'm sure other
murray devotees would appreciate the info.

Many thanks in advance!

Michael

[...]

How to change trailer winch cable on land? Ree-Yees General 12 May 11th 04 03:49 AM
Murray Winch Bearings desertsailor Boat Building 3 February 11th 04 08:17 AM
Boat Winch Grumpy General 6 October 5th 03 04:11 PM
want busted winch Dave Skolnick Cruising 0 October 5th 03 02:11 PM
NE1 know of a web site that has a schematic of trailer bearings and or replacement instructions? CB General 4 August 8th 03 11:59 AM