BoatBanter.com

-   -   Looked today ( Boat Choices) (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8929-looked-today-re-boat-choices.html)

Wendy February 2nd 04 09:47 PM

Looked today ( Boat Choices)

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message
The Tayana and the CL-P36 have almost identical base numbers, although
the TY37 is a bit faster (hull speed).

(very good stuff snipped)

Thanks loads! That's the sort of information it is nice to have, yet it
isn't readily apparent.

I'm with you on the booze weight :)

Wendy

Ken Heaton February 2nd 04 11:15 PM

Looked today ( Boat Choices)

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
doug, it is a Cheoy Lee.

JAXAshby, what are you saying here, I don't understand. Are you saying it
is a good boat because it's a Cheoy Lee?Are Doug's numbers wrong? They're
what's listed in the specs for the boat in the listing. It was built in
Taiwan, right? Sorry, I may be missing something obvious.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

I always like to window-shop and look over
other people's shoulders. Does the cabinet around the motor come
completely apart? If not, the engine access doesn't look too good to me.
The genset access looks terrible. Also, you've heard the stories about
teak decks, especially taiwan teak decks... "Danger Will Rogers!"

One point I don't know if anybody else has mentioned-
ballast/displacement ratio. If this boat's *sailing* displacement (which
is a different figure from it's weight as it left the factory, a figure
often quoted as 'displacement') is really 16K# then it's b/d ratio is a
tad under 40%... close to the minimum for a seagoing boat IMHO. And if
the displacement figure is fudged, as they often are, then it is in a
grey area. Furthermore the stability will be degraded as you load stores
(true of almost any boat, but much less important as the B/D ratio gets
up towards 50%). Rather a nit-picky technical issue, but one that is
important.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JAXAshby February 3rd 04 12:14 AM

Looked today ( Boat Choices)

I strongly
suspect that the same principle applies to nautical design and operation.

except that aero engineers are seriously trained before let loose. naval
architects are, for most all states, just people who claim to be naval
architects.

Badly designed airplanes never get on the runway, let alone airborne. Badly
designed boats that float are boats that float. I have seen people who claim
to be highly qualified naval architects claim that the "slot" between an
overlapping jib and the main _increases_ lift, something no aero eng on the
planet would say of a biwing aircraft.

JAXAshby February 3rd 04 12:22 AM

Looked today ( Boat Choices)

Rich, a Tayana 37 is a nice boat. I would love to have one myself. Yet, if I
were going to deliberately go out "in harm's way" (rather than being ordinarily
prudent) I might be inclined to look at a Van de Stadt 36 or a Dix 36 (in
plywood, because that is both stroner and lighter).

Again, a Tayana 37 is a niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice boat.
Know anyone with a T-37 that needs about 400 hours of TLC cleanup and who is in
deep financial trouble, a wife/mistress/mortgage all a month overdue? Let me
know. [grin]

I suspect Wendy is now aiming a tad more towards a nice cruising boat than a
serious, knock-em-on-your-ass roughwater voyager which seemed to be the aim
earlier in this thread.

Jere Lull February 3rd 04 05:09 AM

Looked today ( Boat Choices)

In article ,
(JAXAshby) wrote:

Badly designed airplanes never get on the runway, let alone airborne.

You haven't seen some of the "planes" of the EAA ;-) I saw one lifting
body shaped like a flying saucer that even actually flew once, but no
sane pilot would take it up for a second flight.

Truth be told, the Quickie has some bad design flaws, but it sure proved
the power of canards. (12 hp, 100 mph and 60+ mpg, but I believe every
one of them was ground looped at least once.)

I have seen people who claim
to be highly qualified naval architects claim that the "slot" between an
overlapping jib and the main _increases_ lift, something no aero eng on the
planet would say of a biwing aircraft.

You don't win many races in multi-sail boats, do you?

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages: