Steve

Default Electronic Fog Horns?

I just upgraded my VHF radio to the Standard Horizon Spectrum+, which among
it's many feature, includes Fog Horn (~4 pre-programed routines) and Siren.
I had a similar feature on my last boat in an Apelco 8500 VHF and found it
very handy around here, Pac.NW, when the weather becomes foggy.

I don't remember how it actually sounded but I suspect it was much the same
as this new unit.. Hard to discribe, just an electronic horn sound. Nothing
like what I would get out of an air horn..

I would be interested in hearing opinions, as to wheather the electronic
horn actually meet the requirements and more important, would another boat
recognize it as a true Fog Horn Warning Signal.

I know a fog horn signal from one of those aerosol can horns would be pretty
hard to ignore. Not because of their volume but because they do sound like a
large vessels air horn.. However the horn in a can is not a viable solution
in a prolonged foggy period (at $10 a can).

Since the Hailer and VHF synthesized horns come as 25-40 watts, it seems
they could do a better job of imitating a ships horn signal.

Thoughts or opinions ??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions