Wendy

Default Offshore cruiser questions

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message
Consider upgrading and refitting a Robert Perry design: Tayana37,
Valiant 40, etc. These older designs (although heavyweight by todays
standards) have dominated passagemaking and voyaging for the past 30+
years. Depending on where you are located the best prices are in
Florida/Gulf Coast. Prices for older still useable/rebuildable (with
alluminum masts) should be in the neighborhood of $65K-100K These
boats are built like Sherman Tanks and usually are quite sound
structurally (overbuilt ).
If you have to refit, figure a 20% added to your purchase price -- and
that may be true for ANY used boat you buy.

Most of the 'good' older ones are offered principally through eMail
discussion groups or 'owners groups' such as on Sailnet, etc. Goto
the Sailnet.com website, follow the links to email discussion groups.
Also you can look up the 'archives' on various designs, etc.: email
archives, etc. on sailnet, etc.

Tayana, Passport, Valiant, Baba, TaShing, etc.

I'm in Texas (Houston area), so it's good to know that Gulf Coast prices are
best. I thought they might be, compared to a California or Maryland price.
OK, I'm off to sailnet now...

Wendy

JAXAshby

Rich, a Tayana 37 or a Valiant 40 might be a tad big for a woman to singlehand.
A Southern Cross 31(same same as Aries 32 or Weatherly 32 or Roughwater 33) or
a Luders 33 or a Westsail 28 or a Southern Cross 28, or a Bristol
27/30(?)/32/35, or a Seawind 33 or a Cape Dory 30 or 33, or a Baba 30, etc.

Consider upgrading and refitting a Robert Perry design: Tayana37,
Valiant 40, etc. These older designs (although heavyweight by todays
standards) have dominated passagemaking and voyaging for the past 30+
years.

felton

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:06:32 -0600, "Wendy"
wrote:

[...]

One particularly good book that I read a long time ago is
" Sensible Cruising: The Thoreau Approach" by Don Casey.
You can get it anywhere, or from Amazon used for $5. Lots of great
information and very motivating to simplify and not overhwelm yourself
with a big/expensive/state of the art mindset. You might also
consider joining the US Power Squadron. Lots of good courses, very
reasonably priced, and you will meet others who have boats and will
probably be more than happy to share their boats and their experiences
with you.
Just a thought.

Good luck

JAXAshby

dougies, don't be stupid, again. The lady is a pilot and she has handled that
well. don't be trying to convince her that sailing a boat is more dangerous.
It is not. Not even close. I say again, NOT EVEV CLOSE.

I can't imagine the situation
would be as dire as an aviation-related failure.

You might be surprised. Things can happen quickly on the water, and
consequences can be dire indeed...

Wendy

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
hey eh dude, she is not qualified for a "Six-Pack" license. Not enough

time.
Besides, a six pack license is as impressive to most sailors as a

Crackjack
ring.

Well, there is three and half more years of floating around in the US Navy.
I'm trying to forget that But the time counts; it and my time on the
90-footer are what qualifies me for the 100-ton ticket (unless they changed
the rules; I left the Caribbean in '96).

Wendy, very good luck to you and fair winds.

You gave very good advice; sincere thanks for taking the time to reply!

Wendy

JAXAshby

You might also
consider joining the US Power Squadron.

yuk!

Lots of good courses,

nope.

very
reasonably priced,

cheap, maybe, but WAY overpriced for what you get.

nd you will meet others who have boats and will
probably be more than happy to share their boats and their experiences
with you.

yeah, maybe, could be an advantage, but wandering around boatyards is quicker,
more informative and you meet more people who actually go out on the water.
Still, you can have coffee in a USPS course as some grey haired old man or
woman in a blue uniform tells you what lights to show at night on a disabled
boat with no anchor in a channel with mist forming. You will also learn how to
hit rocks by blinding following a compass heading in a rocky channel in a fog.
And, of course, how many PFD's you need on board and how to put one on.

1967 Cruiser Craft. Waco General 1 July 13th 04 05:33 PM
Need Advice: Cruising Catamaran, Trimaran, Cruiser or Motorsailer Brian Cruising 2 January 11th 04 03:42 PM
Newbie 24ft cruiser questions? whenindoubt General 12 October 4th 03 02:27 PM
September Great Lakes Cruiser [email protected] Cruising 0 August 29th 03 04:37 PM