JAXAshby

Default roberts boats

if it is cheap enough, it is good enough.

three thou seems about right.

I am considering purchasing a Roberts 370 for extended cruising
any information on good points / bad points
sailing characteristics etc.greatly appreciated

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:10:41 -0800, "barry"
wrote:

I am considering purchasing a Roberts 370 for extended cruising
any information on good points / bad points
sailing characteristics etc.greatly appreciated

That one in Eastern Ontario? I just had a big e-mail exchange with
that guy.

R.

barry

I am considering purchasing a Roberts 370 for extended cruising
any information on good points / bad points
sailing characteristics etc.greatly appreciated

Lee Huddleston

wrote:

I am considering purchasing a Roberts 370 for extended cruising
any information on good points / bad points
sailing characteristics etc.greatly appreciated

Barry,

I have a Roberts designed Mauritius 43, steel hull, center cockpit,
raised poop, cutter-ketch. I am very pleased with the design and the
boat. Roberts designs have a pretty good reputation. But, of course,
whether a particular vessel is a good purchase will depend on how well
the boat was built and also whether the design fits your needs and
tastes. Some people would not like my boat, but I love it (thus the
name). Sorry, I do not have any information specific to the 370.
BTW, Bruce Roberts-Goodson lives in Annapolis and has a web site.

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove

Peter

On 30 Jan 2004 16:00:37 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

go over to boatbuilding.com "discussion groups" "boat design" and ask this
question. Roberts designs are not considered any sort of pinnacle.

Every design has its advocates and detractors.

We have a slightly stretched steel Roberts Mauritus which we're
currently fitting out to take around the world. The fit-out is
equiptment/internal/cosmetic - the base boat is fine.

We looked at some 50+ yachts before choosing "Hinewai". We wanted
steel becuase we've done a fair bit of coral cruising and we've seen
too many GRP boats pranged on bombs. Our criteria (and budget) was
for a well found hull and rig - internally we'd fix what ever was
needed.

Hinewai was lauched in '85 in New Zealand and while we've had a few
bits of surface rust to treat internally, the hull structure is pretty
much as the day she first hit the water. The fairing on the topsides
is as good as I've ever seen - and that's generally a good sign of a
well built steel boat.

She's certainly not a hot racer and any newer race boat will take a
good 10+ degrees point off her. On the other hand, when a shout of
"starboard" fails - a call of "17 tons of steel" generally gets
attention.

But we bought her for cruising. And that was up in Brisbane. The
sail back to Melbourne (about 2,000 nm) proved that the two of us can
easily handle her ketch/cutter rig. The storage and head room below
would make most modern crusing boat owners dribble. Indeed. one of
our problems with the fit-out is where to put the basketball hoop.

I can't say I've seen a 370 so can't make a definitive comment of that
design. However, and with respect to Jax, our Roberts' meet our needs
as a cruising boat, a home away from home and as a freindly, forgiving
and, for it's weight, a relatively spirited sailing boat. I'll admit
though, it's a Journeyman's boat, maybe not a Master's.

All the best with the choice you make

Peter

www.oceanodyssey.net
"Do not measure your life by the number of breaths you take,
Rather by the number of times life just takes your breath away"