Peter

Default roberts boats

On 30 Jan 2004 16:00:37 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

go over to boatbuilding.com "discussion groups" "boat design" and ask this
question. Roberts designs are not considered any sort of pinnacle.

Every design has its advocates and detractors.

We have a slightly stretched steel Roberts Mauritus which we're
currently fitting out to take around the world. The fit-out is
equiptment/internal/cosmetic - the base boat is fine.

We looked at some 50+ yachts before choosing "Hinewai". We wanted
steel becuase we've done a fair bit of coral cruising and we've seen
too many GRP boats pranged on bombs. Our criteria (and budget) was
for a well found hull and rig - internally we'd fix what ever was
needed.

Hinewai was lauched in '85 in New Zealand and while we've had a few
bits of surface rust to treat internally, the hull structure is pretty
much as the day she first hit the water. The fairing on the topsides
is as good as I've ever seen - and that's generally a good sign of a
well built steel boat.

She's certainly not a hot racer and any newer race boat will take a
good 10+ degrees point off her. On the other hand, when a shout of
"starboard" fails - a call of "17 tons of steel" generally gets
attention.

But we bought her for cruising. And that was up in Brisbane. The
sail back to Melbourne (about 2,000 nm) proved that the two of us can
easily handle her ketch/cutter rig. The storage and head room below
would make most modern crusing boat owners dribble. Indeed. one of
our problems with the fit-out is where to put the basketball hoop.

I can't say I've seen a 370 so can't make a definitive comment of that
design. However, and with respect to Jax, our Roberts' meet our needs
as a cruising boat, a home away from home and as a freindly, forgiving
and, for it's weight, a relatively spirited sailing boat. I'll admit
though, it's a Journeyman's boat, maybe not a Master's.

All the best with the choice you make

Peter

www.oceanodyssey.net
"Do not measure your life by the number of breaths you take,
Rather by the number of times life just takes your breath away"

JAXAshby

Every design has its advocates and detractors.

yes, AND one might be inclined to notice the difference in volumne between the
voices of the advocates and teh detractors, and to notice the consistent
quality of one or the other.

Lee Huddleston

She's certainly not a hot racer and any newer race boat will take a
good 10+ degrees point off her. On the other hand, when a shout of
"starboard" fails - a call of "17 tons of steel" generally gets
attention.

Peter,

That was great. Thanks for the laugh.

Many times I have been so glad that my boat was constructed of steel.
Not being as competent a sailor as others on this news group, I tend
to run into docks and run aground from time-to-time. After hurricane
Floyd hit the coast of North Carolina a year or so ago, I rushed to my
boat to assess the damages. As I walked down the dock I saw where the
storm had pushed several fiberglass boats up against their pylons and
severely damaged their topsides and rails. When I got to my boat, I
found no damage at all. At first I concluded that my lines had held
the boat off of the pylon. Then I saw the damage to the pylon. On
closer examination there was not even a scratch on my paint. Then it
dawned on me -- steel versus wood -- it's the wood that looses. Later
the marina manager asked me to please not let my boat destroy their
docks. :-)

BTW how much and where did the builders "stretch" your Mauritius 43?

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove

Peter

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 05:38:09 GMT, (Lee
Huddleston) wrote:

snip

BTW how much and where did the builders "stretch" your Mauritius 43?

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove

Sorry for delay in response - can't believe it's been three weeks
since I last looked at the groups.

Hinewai was built in New Zealand back in '85 and she's basically a 45'
- we tell our marina she's a 44 since at 45ft the cost goes up -
thankfully, they've never noticed the Aires at the flat end.

The build with the steel is great - professional done - but the first
owner obviously followed the mast plan religously - measuring back
from the bow. This meant the mizzen ended up in the cockpit - about 1
ft from the wheel.

Living the good life here in Oz meant this was not the most
comfortable helm position for me (although my swelvt wife had no
problems) so we moved the mizzen back onto the top of the stern cabin.

That said, it's been the only issue on the stretch. We had the usual
early Roberts issue with down wind sailing so moved the rudder back
and added a bit in size. That done, she sails like a dream - easily
handled by the two of us.

And, as I said, while I respect JAX's views, frankly, she's the right
boat for us.

We're currently fitting her out for a circumnaviagtion - would welcome
any feedback, suggestions, thoughts, experiences from Truelove.

Our e - mail's peterk[remove this bit aimed at stuffing spammers]at
oceanodyssey.net

Best