Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Parallax

Default Useful gadgets

After many yrs of being a cheapskate sailor sailing without the
expensive gadgets thayt many other ppl have, I now find myself able to
afford to buy some of the gadgets I used to shun. All those yrs of
making do without has colored my thought processes so I naturally
avoid gadgetry. However, my recent installation of roller furling
really made sailing easier so I am reconsidering my attitude toward
gadgets. I would like input from other ppl on what gadgets really
make sailing better and what ones are simply a techno-pain in the ass.

For example: GPS is a necessity but I will keep my paper charts and
hand compass. Depthsounder is necessary. Permanently mounted VHF
necessary.

So:

Knotlog- really useful or does the reading off the GPS suffice?
Handheld VHF- useful or not?
Electronic masthead windmeter (I'd like one but am doubtful about its
robustness)- useful or not?
Radar- Takes too much power I think for a sailboat.
Lazy jacks- (I am sure I can make my own) but really useful or not?
Any other useful things?