Harlan Lachman

Default Useful gadgets

In article , Parallax
wrote:

After many yrs of being a cheapskate sailor sailing without the
expensive gadgets thayt many other ppl have, I now find myself able to
afford to buy some of the gadgets I used to shun. All those yrs of
making do without has colored my thought processes so I naturally
avoid gadgetry. However, my recent installation of roller furling
really made sailing easier so I am reconsidering my attitude toward
gadgets. I would like input from other ppl on what gadgets really
make sailing better and what ones are simply a techno-pain in the ass.

For example: GPS is a necessity but I will keep my paper charts and
hand compass.

Take a look at the various units. Look at the software and how it
looks, especially in daylight. I like the Garmin units but there are
lots of reviews touting different reasons for different brands. The
only way to see what works for you is to see them. A good GPS can
change the way you sail. Really.

Depthsounder is necessary. Permanently mounted VHF
necessary.

So:

Knotlog- really useful or does the reading off the GPS suffice?
Handheld VHF- useful or not?

Critical. Belts and suspenders. If you have problems with your power
your fixed VHF don't work. If something goes wrong, if you go ashore
and want to call for a launch, one of the tiny handhelds is great and a
great safety device.

Electronic masthead windmeter (I'd like one but am doubtful about its
robustness)- useful or not?
Radar- Takes too much power I think for a sailboat.

If you sail in areas with fog (e.g., coast of Maine) sailing without
one is selfish and a disservice to all on the water around you.

Lazy jacks- (I am sure I can make my own) but really useful or not?

If you ever single hand or have inexperienced crew, one of the kindest
things you can do. I have em on a 20 foot daysailer and they make
single handing easy, reefing a breeze, and taking guests simple.

Harlan
Any other useful things?

--
Tro respond, obviously drop the nospam!