Default Day Sails Info request

Hi peoples

Well, the family is off to Laughlin and Las Vegas for Xmas and New Year. My
m-i-l lives in Golden Valley Arizona and we're going to visit. There's me,
my wife, 20y-o son and 16y-o daughter.

I've heard that there's a large lake in NW Arizona - do people sail on it?
Is it the one that has the Hoover Dam at the blocked-up end?

We're going to make our way from LV back to LA between New Year and 10th
Jan,which is when we exit USA for home. Can you charter a day sail in LA or
do you need to go south a bit?

This is confusing me - the internet has so much information I need a human
with experience to tell me what to look for!

Would appreciate people's recommendations, including non-sailing stuff to
do.

thanks

Hoges in WA
(as in Western Australia)

Hoges in WA wrote:
[...]

Keep in mind that it is winter here and some parts of Nevada get darn
cold!
Gordon

"Gordon" wrote in message
Hoges in WA wrote:
[...]

I'm aware of that but the reminder is useful - bet your bottom dollar we'll
keep forgetting!

"Hoges in WA" wrote:

I've heard that there's a large lake in NW Arizona - do people sail on it?
Is it the one that has the Hoover Dam at the blocked-up end?

Yes AKA: Lake Mead; however, probably too cold to enjoy at Christmas time.

We're going to make our way from LV back to LA between New Year and 10th
Jan,which is when we exit USA for home. Can you charter a day sail in LA
or do you need to go south a bit?

Yes, day charter available; however, it will be cold.

Lots to see and enjoy in L/A area.

What are your interests other than sailing?

Lew

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Hoges in WA" wrote:

I've heard that there's a large lake in NW Arizona - do people sail on
it? Is it the one that has the Hoover Dam at the blocked-up end?

Yes AKA: Lake Mead; however, probably too cold to enjoy at Christmas time.

We're going to make our way from LV back to LA between New Year and 10th
Jan,which is when we exit USA for home. Can you charter a day sail in LA
or do you need to go south a bit?

Yes, day charter available; however, it will be cold.

Lots to see and enjoy in L/A area.

What are your interests other than sailing?

Lew

I think you guys are right about the cold bit. I live on the seaside at 32
south so I don't really know what proper cold is. That Lake Mead is the one
I've heard about - I suppose it'll be worth just going to have a look at it
even without the sail.

Other interests are Walking, Food, Diving. I suppose mostly I just want to
see what's in front of me and around me and drink it all in. 16y-o daughter
wants to go to Rodeo Drive. 20y-o son is an Elvis fan and also wants to buy
some genuine cowboy boots while we're in the States.

We've been back and forth to Asia for many years but this is our first
States trip.

Hoges

Lots to see, but definitely not a good time for daysailing in that
part of the U.S. L.A's Getty art museum is a 'don't miss' - not for
the art collection necessarily, but for the building and grounds. Air
quality is usually good in winter, so views would be spectacular.
Southern CA sailing can be a bit boring - light winds and not much
interesting scenery, but San Diego would be your best bet if you are
intent upon doing it. You might fall into a fine windy day!

(San Francisco Bay offers both wind and scenery, but April - October
is time for that. Lois at Cass' Marina in Sausalito has a functional
fleet of boats to choose from 415-332-6789 should you return to the
states during the season. Pay close attention to tidal currents in
the Bay!)

Frankly, I'd shelve the sailing idea and spend the time enjoying the
southwest's natural beauty. Zion National Park in SW Utah is a bit
out of route from Las Vegas to Tucson direct, but if you keep an eye
on the weather, overnight in St. George, then to Zion & overnight
Kanab or Page to the south rim of Grand Canyon and on to Flagstaff
(cowboy boots!) and Sedona, you'd see some beautiful country. Allow
time for some lengthy hikes. If you don't intend to bring suitable
cold weather clothing, scratch this route, however. You'll find
enough of Elvis in Las Vegas - the whole scene is fine, some good
shows always available, but a couple days there is plenty for most.
Hiking around the foothills of Tucson might fit the bill as well.
Enjoy, and come back again soon!

Tim

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 01:58:30 +0000, Hoges in WA wrote:

Hi peoples

Well, the family is off to Laughlin and Las Vegas for Xmas and New Year.
My m-i-l lives in Golden Valley Arizona and we're going to visit.
There's me, my wife, 20y-o son and 16y-o daughter.

I've heard that there's a large lake in NW Arizona - do people sail on
it? Is it the one that has the Hoover Dam at the blocked-up end?

We're going to make our way from LV back to LA between New Year and 10th
Jan,which is when we exit USA for home. Can you charter a day sail in
LA or do you need to go south a bit?

This is confusing me - the internet has so much information I need a
human with experience to tell me what to look for!

Would appreciate people's recommendations, including non-sailing stuff
to do.

First, re-post your message at www.sailinganarchy.com, where a lot of
locals hang out. You'll get some pointers for sure, and maybe even some
offers.

You can certainly charter in LA. The closest place is Marina Del Rey,
just north of LA airport. It's a very large small boat harbor, with many
marinas and I'm sure several charter operations. I've never rented a boat
there but I've sailed there plenty. The harbor is a bit tight for sailing
but the ocean outside is great. This would be the most convenient if
you're staying in LA, plus there are neat places to see nearby like Santa
Monica, the best "walk-around" part of LA.

About 30 minutes south is Long Beach / Alamitos Bay, and LA Harbor proper.
You can sail in the harbor itself or venture outside. See the ships come
and go in the busiest port in the world.

About an hour to the south is Newport Beach, my home town. The harbor is
similar to Alamitos Bay, surrounded by houses.

Both Newport Beach and Marina Del Rey claim to be the "world's largest
small boat harbor."

You can enjoy sailing inside any of these harbors in a small boat (25').
With a larger one you'd probably rather go outside. In winter there are
far fewer boats, which makes sailing inside a lot easier, and smoother
seas (fewer wakes) just outside.

Winds are indeed light in southern CA, but enough to move boats. I spent
my youth on Newport Harbor and there was always enough wind to get around.
Not fast, but it's sailing just the same.

Winter weather, between storms, is spectacular -- 60s and 70s F, and
incredibly clear. Winter brings the occasional Santa Ana winds, strong
winds which blow off the land. There's nothing like 20kt of offshore
breeze with perfectly flat water. Very gusty though. Otherwise expect
light and variable winds in the morning, with the afternoon sea breeze
filling in at around 10kt.

So plan to sail in the afternoon.

Some charter places:

www.windwardsailingclub.com -- Newport Beach -- I used to rent there a
lot. It used to be a lot cheaper!

www.pacificsailing.net -- Long Beach -- dunno about 'em, only that they
exist

www.marinasailing.com -- Marina Del Rey -- ditto

I'm sure there are more.

I don't know what these places require now for qualifications to rent a
boat. I would check.

Happy Sailing!

Matt O.

"PrefersOffshore" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, the sailing can be great any time of the year in the SF bay. I
don't usually sail when it's raining/storms, but if it's not either, it's
fantastic sailing... clear as a bell, crisp air, beautiful sunsets, and the
city shines like a crystal. Also, there are many fewer rec. boaters, but it
can actually be warmer during the day due to lighter winds. You do have to
mindful of tides/currents and traffic, but that's always true.

I do charters on the bay all year. The only thing that cancels is bad
weather, which is fairly rare.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Hoges in WA" wrote:

I think you guys are right about the cold bit. I live on the seaside at
32 south so I don't really know what proper cold is. That Lake Mead is
the one I've heard about - I suppose it'll be worth just going to have a
look at it even without the sail.

Hoover dam, yes, Lake Mead, doubtful.

Other interests are Walking, Food, Diving. I suppose mostly I just want
to see what's in front of me and around me and drink it all in. 16y-o
daughter wants to go to Rodeo Drive. 20y-o son is an Elvis fan and also
wants to buy some genuine cowboy boots while we're in the States.

Old Joke:

Sooner or later, what does every A-- Hole get?

Hemmroids and cowboy boots.

BTW, if he wants good boots, probably have to have them custom made.

We've been back and forth to Asia for many years but this is our first
States trip.

The kids would probably enjoy "Universal" or even a movie studio tour.

As mentioned, The Getty is worth the trip.

Have fun.

"Hoges in WA" wrote:

[...]

I was at Lake Mead last 4th of July... it's a moonscape, but worth seeing.
Did the houseboating thing, which was fun because it had AC.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com