Default Battery options

Unfortunately, I have used my 28' S2 very little this year. I thought
I had checked my battery water but now I remember the last time I
checked was in January and I have a solar panel that keeps them
charged and probably overcharges them causing them to lose water. The
problem is that the battery location makes it very difficult to check
them, especially in summer when it is so hot.
Now my batteries are dead after only 3 years of use. So, what are my
best options? I am sure maintenance will continue to be a problem but
I really did not think my small solar charger really caused problems
but clearly it did. I have it connected to #1 only and that one had
almost no water. #2 had more water and does take a little charge but
should also be replaced.
Are maintenance free deepcycle batteries worthwhile?
Any suggestions?

In article om,
wrote:

Unfortunately, I have used my 28' S2 very little this year. I thought
I had checked my battery water but now I remember the last time I
checked was in January and I have a solar panel that keeps them
charged and probably overcharges them causing them to lose water. The
problem is that the battery location makes it very difficult to check
them, especially in summer when it is so hot.
Now my batteries are dead after only 3 years of use. So, what are my
best options? I am sure maintenance will continue to be a problem but
I really did not think my small solar charger really caused problems
but clearly it did. I have it connected to #1 only and that one had
almost no water. #2 had more water and does take a little charge but
should also be replaced.
Are maintenance free deepcycle batteries worthwhile?
Any suggestions?

There is this on ebay:

Item number: 250147313014

which I have been reading up on. Seems reasonable. Has anyone had
experience of Desulphators?

Are you all the same voltage batteries? Reason I ask is all 4 of my
Trojan 105's boiled away - twice in a month! On replacing them and
reading the charger manual (Xantrex) it quite clearly states that
battery voltages mustn't be mixed. Turns out I had 2 X gel 12v and 4 X
6V wired up. (Wired up by previous owner). I now have all batteries at
12v and shouldn't have a problem.

If the solar charger is causing problems, it will affect "maintenance
free" even more as they cannot tolerate high charging voltages.
I would use wet lead acid - cheaper to replace than others and get a
solar regulator so that long term float voltage is not too high - no
more than 13.8v for wet acid cool temp. Reduce if ambient temps are
high - above 70F. Batteries do not like heat. It is not the current
from the solar charging that is the problem, it is the voltage.
Gassing starts at 14.4v.

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:06:19 -0000, lid (Jonathan
Ganz) wrote:

Adding to all this that there's really no excuse to fail to check the batts.

Easy to say unless you've got a 160 lb 8D batt installed under a shelf
and behind 4 other batteries. It's lucky to get checked once a year.

"Wayne.B" wrote:

Easy to say unless you've got a 160 lb 8D batt installed under a

shelf
and behind 4 other batteries. It's lucky to get checked once a

year.

What's that old saw about "Poor plannimg on your part is not my
problem"?

Lew

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 00:02:38 GMT, wrote:

Careful, Scotty. He'll wake your ass!

I'm sure someone else will do it for me.

On Nov 16, 1:48 am, (Jonathan Ganz) wrote:
In article ,

Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:06:19 -0000, (Jonathan
Ganz) wrote:

Adding to all this that there's really no excuse to fail to check the batts.

Easy to say unless you've got a 160 lb 8D batt installed under a shelf
and behind 4 other batteries. It's lucky to get checked once a year.

That's just an excuse. Sounds like a bad location, and in any case, is it not worth the hassle compared to lifting them out to replace them instead?

I looked at the AGM type batteries that need lots less service but
they were cost prohihib. Turned out my batteries were 4 and 6 yrs
old. I replaced em with two more flooded cell types. Will try to
check em more.

OMC any options? calhoun General 9 January 26th 06 05:23 AM
other options for trampolines? imagineero Boat Building 0 October 15th 05 06:08 PM
vhf handheld options Jim Richardson Cruising 11 April 5th 05 04:26 AM
Battery info pages - Battery University website dg Cruising 0 February 26th 04 04:59 PM
Auxially battery with isolator and solar battery maintainer [email protected] General 26 December 8th 03 06:10 AM