Jim Richardson

Default vhf handheld options

Looking at getting a new vhf handheld, the old one is, well, old, and
cranky. Looks like the Standard Horizon's HX260 is on closeout for $100
in several places, any one have any experience with this handheld? the
price is right for a waterproof/submersible, and SH makes mostly decent
kit, in a chevy not a caddy sort of way.

I'd explain it all to you, but your brain would explode.
Don White

"Jim Richardson" wrote in message

Looking at getting a new vhf handheld, the old one is, well, old, and
cranky. Looks like the Standard Horizon's HX260 is on closeout for $100
in several places, any one have any experience with this handheld? the
price is right for a waterproof/submersible, and SH makes mostly decent
kit, in a chevy not a caddy sort of way.

Don't know about the 260 but the 460S button switches have been troublesome
on mine.

joe_323

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:16:32 -0800, Jim Richardson
wrote:

Looking at getting a new vhf handheld, the old one is, well, old, and
cranky. Looks like the Standard Horizon's HX260 is on closeout for $100
in several places, any one have any experience with this handheld? the
price is right for a waterproof/submersible, and SH makes mostly decent
kit, in a chevy not a caddy sort of way.

I'd explain it all to you, but your brain would explode.

I had one. It had very short battery life. Then I got an Icom M1V and
it lasts forever between charges and is quite a bit smaller. I will
never get a NiCad powered HT again.

Joe
otnmbrd

Don White wrote:
"Jim Richardson" wrote in message

Looking at getting a new vhf handheld, the old one is, well, old, and
cranky. Looks like the Standard Horizon's HX260 is on closeout for $100
in several places, any one have any experience with this handheld? the
price is right for a waterproof/submersible, and SH makes mostly decent
kit, in a chevy not a caddy sort of way.

Don't know about the 260 but the 460S button switches have been troublesome
on mine.

Interesting. I've been using two 460S' since they were first introduced.
To date, trouble free, though I've had to replace the headset, once.

otn
Don White

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
ink.net...

Interesting. I've been using two 460S' since they were first introduced.
To date, trouble free, though I've had to replace the headset, once.

otn

First button to pack it in was the 'lamp' one...now it's the 'return'
button.
I talked to a rep at the local boat show...good news is they can be repaired
in Canada now...no more shipping defective units stateside.

Padeen

Are there any vhf handhelds that use standard AA or AAA batteries?
Padeen

Ian Malcolm

wrote:

Looking at getting a new vhf handheld, the old one is, well, old, and
cranky. Looks like the Standard Horizon's HX260 is on closeout for $100
in several places, any one have any experience with this handheld? the
price is right for a waterproof/submersible, and SH makes mostly decent
kit, in a chevy not a caddy sort of way.

I'd explain it all to you, but your brain would explode.

I had one. It had very short battery life. Then I got an Icom M1V and
it lasts forever between charges and is quite a bit smaller. I will
never get a NiCad powered HT again.

Joe

I second the reccomendation for a Icom M1V. Its a real battery miser and
is easy to operate. Keep a smear of silicone grease on the charging
contacts on the battery pack or you will get some corrosion if it gets
immersed for any significant amount of time.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
Ian Malcolm

Padeen wrote:

Are there any vhf handhelds that use standard AA or AAA batteries?

Icom have some models that have that option, Supplied with a NiMH pack
but you can clip the AA alkaline pack on instead. Some even come with
both packs.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
Larry W4CSC

"Padeen" wrote in
news
Are there any vhf handhelds that use standard AA or AAA batteries?
Padeen

My Garmin 725 5W vhf walkie came with crappy Ni-Cds because they are cheap
and a battery holder for alkalines, which is a MUCH better idea if you are
going to only use the walkie intermittently because all rechargable
batteries naturally discharge themselves over time, while Alkaline cells
can sit 10 years or more!

The Garmin cells have all been replaced with Ni-metal hydride monsters,
2500 maH commercials by taking the Garmin battery pack to be rebuilt by
Batteries Plus, here. 2.5AH is a LOT of power for a walkie.....The
original Ni-Cds were only 700 maH. It takes the cheap Garmin charger a day
to recharge them....but, hey, I'm ashore for that...

http://www.batteriesplus.com/

rhys

wrote:

Looking at getting a new vhf handheld, the old one is, well, old, and
cranky. Looks like the Standard Horizon's HX260 is on closeout for $100
in several places, any one have any experience with this handheld? the
price is right for a waterproof/submersible, and SH makes mostly decent
kit, in a chevy not a caddy sort of way.

I've had one on the Great Lakes for about four years. I've found it
dependable, decent range and sturdy. While I have the alkaline back-up
battery pack, I've never used it, as the ni-cad pack on the 260S holds
enough charge for a couple of weeks for me (95% monitoring at the
tiller, and 5% XMIT). I charge it overnight about six times a year. It
has been dropped in a wet bilge, thrown around in a planing Zodiac,
and spent a lot of time in a crash box marinating...still works well.

Practically, I've been able to contact my boat at dock (a standard
Metz antenna at around 45 feet off the water) from sitting in a Zodiac
five to six miles distant over two intervening low pieces of land.
That was about the limit, though. Also practically: it's neither small
nor light compared to some of the "card deck"-sized models of late,
but it's rugged, soakable and lasts sufficiently long. I use it pretty
constantly in the Zodiac and by the tiller, as the ICOM at the nav
station is of little use when I'm single-handing.

$100 is a stealf for this unit if you are a weekend, coastal sailor.

Hope this helps.
R.