Default Anchors

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 14:58:48 -0500, Jim wrote:

Gordon wrote:
Researching anchors and keep popping up testimonials on how absolutely
great the new Rocnas are! Always set the first time, never drag in any
bottom, yada, yada.
Then I realized why! They size them twice the size of other anchors!
My boat calls for a 15 kg Bruce for 60 knot winds.
A 35# CQR. (16 kg) and
A whopping 33 kg for Rocna!

So does this mean the Rocna design is so lousy it takes twice the
weight to work properly?

Gordon

And for anyone looking for the Manson,

http://www.azuremarine.com/e1en/grou...on.asp#supreme

They seem to have better prices than West.

Jim.

I think it has already been mentioned. The Azure URL (above) notes:

"The Manson Supreme has been reviewed by Lloyds Register of Shipping
and has received a SHHP status. The first and only production boat
anchor in the world to do so."

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Manson Supreme
The 35-pound Manson Supreme was certainly an unusual-looking entrant. It
has a broad single fluke that was among the sharpest of the bunch,
combined with a rigid shank and a roll bar. The shank is equipped with
both a fixed-shackle attachment and a channel that allows a shackle to
slide, reportedly making for easier retrieval. Manufactured in New
Zealand, the Manson proves the Kiwis know anchors, as it set quickly
each time and held to a maximum of 5,332 pounds, releasing and dragging
only once.
Quoted from West test

Rocna
The Rocna was designed and manufactured in New Zealand. The 33-pounder
looks similar to the Manson, with a roll bar and sharp fluke, but lacks
a channel in its shank for an alternate rode attachment. The anchor
tended to drag at first but finally set each time and held once to 5,000
pounds.
Quoted from West test

Rocna 20kg (44#) $638 at Port Supply
Manson Supreme 45# $445 at Port Supply

Read the two paragraphs carefully and just based on this, which would
you buy?
Gordon

On 2007-11-04 21:03:56 -0500, Gordon said:

Manson Supreme
[...]

Wow. Wonder which they have a higher profit margin on?

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Gordon wrote:
[...]

Not to start an argument but where did you find that information? I've
been looking for that kind of data all over the Net. Even e-mailed
Lloyd's but no answer.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)

Gordon wrote:
[...]

(hit return too quickly)

I did look at the URL, above, and in one place it states that the
anchor has received Lloyd's certificate but in another place it says
that the test is being conducted.

First statement
The Manson Supreme has been reviewed by Lloyds Register of Shipping
and has received a SHHP status. The first and only production boat
anchor in the world to do so.

Second statement
The anchor is currently being surveyed by Lloyds Register of Shipping
and will be certified as a Super High Holding Power Anchor, the first
production anchor in the world to receive this status & certification.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)

wrote:

.... for anyone looking for the Manson,
http://www.azuremarine.com/e1en/grou...on.asp#supreme

The Azure URL (above) notes:
"The Manson Supreme has been reviewed by Lloyds Register of Shipping
and has received a SHHP status. The first and only production boat
anchor in the world to do so."

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Not to start an argument but where did you find that information?

Bruce-in-Bangkok

My note read like this, Bruce:
"The Azure URL (above) notes [ it ]"

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Gordon wrote:
[...]

Careless editing of web updates?

Brian W

wrote:

.... for anyone looking for the Manson,
http://www.azuremarine.com/e1en/grou...on.asp#supreme

The Azure URL (above) notes:
"The Manson Supreme has been reviewed by Lloyds Register of Shipping
and has received a SHHP status. The first and only production boat
anchor in the world to do so."

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Not to start an argument but where did you find that information?

Bruce-in-Bangkok

My note read like this, Bruce:
"The Azure URL (above) notes [ it ]"

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Yes, I saw that and posted a follow-up message that doesn't seem to
have appeared, as follows:

I have been looking for that kind of data all over the Net. Even
e-mailed Lloyd's but no answer.

(hit return too quickly)

I did look at the URL, above, and in one place it states that the
anchor has received Lloyd's certificate but in another place it says
that the test is being conducted.

First statement
The Manson Supreme has been reviewed by Lloyds Register of Shipping
and has received a SHHP status. The first and only production boat
anchor in the world to do so.

Second statement
The anchor is currently being surveyed by Lloyds Register of Shipping
and will be certified as a Super High Holding Power Anchor, the first
production anchor in the world to receive this status & certification.

Thus my question.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 09:35:08 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

The Azure URL (above) notes:
"The Manson Supreme has been reviewed by Lloyds Register of Shipping
and has received a SHHP status. The first and only production boat
anchor in the world to do so."

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

-
-
[...]

I have a private note in hand that appears to confirm the maker's
contention that The Mason Supreme is the only SHHP Lloyds-rated
device at present.

I also hear that the Rocna anchor in debate is made by sub-contract
suppliers, that vendor having no production capability in-house at
present. (not that this is particularly damning, I wouldn't think?).

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
No Name

wrote:

[...]

Are the sub-contractors qualified to an approved quality assurance standard?
Do they have an approved inspection and test plan? Who does the quality
control during fabrication?
What method is used to inspect the welding and the purchased steel? It is
not uncommon to see burned through welds and treated steel that exceeds
hardness specifications (Rockwell or Vickers scale)

Testing Anchors Capt. Rob ASA 18 May 6th 06 09:14 PM
Anchors Robert or Karen Swarts General 9 January 24th 05 11:50 PM
More Anchors! Martin Baxter ASA 11 June 18th 04 03:00 PM
How many anchors ? Joe ASA 79 June 15th 04 04:35 AM
Sascot Anchors Tim General 0 September 29th 03 08:53 PM