Bruce in Bangkok Bruce in Bangkok is offline

Default Anchors

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:37:52 -0800, Gordon wrote:

Researching anchors and keep popping up testimonials on how
absolutely great the new Rocnas are! Always set the first time, never
drag in any bottom, yada, yada.
Then I realized why! They size them twice the size of other anchors!
My boat calls for a 15 kg Bruce for 60 knot winds.
A 35# CQR. (16 kg) and
A whopping 33 kg for Rocna!

So does this mean the Rocna design is so lousy it takes twice the
weight to work properly?

Gordon

Anchor weights for the conventual "yacht" anchor are really just a
number indicating size as the actual weight of the anchor has very
little effect on its holding power.

Weight certainly helps in setting an anchor but once the anchor is
"set", i.e., buried, the weight has only a minor effect on the holding
power.

The Rocnas that I have seen were made from much heavier plate then
other anchors and in addition the hoop at the back of the anchor
appears to be solid steel although its only function is to keep the
anchor in the correct position.

The Rocna anchors I have seen were typically on European yachts, the
Germans seem to particularly like them, and the owners all claimed
that they were the best anchors in the world. It is also my impression
that they are actually a European design although the Rocnas appear to
be manufactured in New Zealand.

Of course most people brag about their anchors but I doubt that you
will have any problems with the Rocna (although I don't use them
myself).

See aluminum anchors for comparison of weight to holding power.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:displayed e-mail
address is a spam trap)