Default Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel

Based on the below info, only ULSD diesel fuel is available in the U.S.
since June this year. While it is not yet mandated for marine use - it is
evidently the only diesel fuel we can purchase in marinas.

Is this correct?

Following quoted from:
http://www.leetechnologies.com/news/...sub.aspx?id=69

"The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has finalized the Clean
Non-road Diesel Rule, mandating a reformulation of diesel fuel in order to
reduce the fuel's sulfur content from the unregulated level of 3000ppm to a
level of 15ppm. The reduction in sulfur content for land based engines was
accomplished in two steps. First, the sulfur content was capped at 500ppm
starting June 2007. Second, the sulfur cap will be reduced to 15ppm by June
2010. Although the EPA ULSD requirements for off-road engines do not go into
effect until 2010, U.S. refineries have stopped manufacturing non ULSD fuel
as of June 1, 2007. "

" Reduced Lubricity and Increased Fuel Particulate
Sulfur content in diesel fuel contributes to the fuel's ability to lubricate
and protect various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear.
In addition, the refinement process that reduces sulfur content also removes
other naturally occurring lubricity agents. In order to offset this loss of
lubricity, refiners utilize fuel additives that were previously not needed.
Because of these additives lubricity is not a problem for ULSD. However, the
additives can become unstable in storage, which can result in increased
particulates in the fuel. These particulates can contribute to clogged or
fouled fuel filters and fuel injection systems.

Fuel System Leaks
A side effect of the reduction in fuel aromatics is an increased incidence
of fuel system leaks. These leaks generally occur at system points where
O-rings are used to seal joints with most leaks occurring at the fuel pumps
and injectors. Long service/high temperature Nitrile Rubber (Buna N) seals
appear to be most prone to leaks.

Incompatibility with Lubricating Oil
Lubricating oil contains additive packages that neutralize combustion
products to prevent engine corrosion. With a reduced amount of sulfur there
is more un-reacted additive in the lube oil, which may result in formation
of deposits when some of the oil is burned. These deposits can build up
behind the piston rings and result in cylinder liner scuffing.

Additional Potential Problems and Considerations:
.. Increased incidence of microbial growth due to increased concentration of
n-alkalines (linear molecules)
.. Copper and zinc engine components are incompatible with ULSD because they
are oxidative catalysts that will accelerate the formation of sediments,
gels and soaps.
.. Changes in tank and pump labeling requirements. Diesel fuel storage tanks
are required to be labeled with the type of fuel that they contain. This may
require a change for some facilities.
.. The introduction of ULSD fuel to older systems may loosen deposits in fuel
tanks.
.. Because ULSD has a lower conductivity than high sulfur diesel, this fuel
is more likely to accumulate an electrical charge. As a result, there is an
increased risk of a static discharge accident."

Further to my post I checked with our local marina and they confirmed that
the diesel they sell is ULSD.

The local Volvo Penta dealer tells me that the ULSD fuel causes increases
engine wear (cylinder walls and fuel injector tips) and they recommend
adding STANADYNE Performance Formula, which is formulated for ULSD fuel.

He also tells me that the ULSD makes the engine smoke more.... you figure
:-()

. ..

On 2007-10-29 14:22:04 -0400, "claus" said:

Further to my post I checked with our local marina and they confirmed
that the diesel they sell is ULSD.

The local Volvo Penta dealer tells me that the ULSD fuel causes
increases engine wear (cylinder walls and fuel injector tips) and they
recommend adding STANADYNE Performance Formula, which is formulated
for ULSD fuel.

He also tells me that the ULSD makes the engine smoke more.... you figure :-()

An alternative that I use: biodiesel. I run somewhere between 30 and
50%. Much higher lubrication, better smell, and less smoke. Since we
use less than 10 gallons of fuel a year, the now 30% higher cost
($4/gallon vs about 3) is trivial compared to the benefits.

I'd run a higher percentage except that it seems straight bio doesn't
like the cold much, and we don't exactly turn fuel over very regularly
the past few years.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

An alternative that I use: biodiesel.

What about the hassles of growth? Bio in a car is one thing, you're using
the fuel up pretty quickly. But in a boat it'll sit there a lot longer.

Default Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel - follow-up

Although the EPA ULSD requirements for off-road engines do not go into
effect until 2010, U.S. refineries have stopped manufacturing non ULSD fuel
as of June 1, 2007. "

I decided to check on the above statement by asking the author. Here is his
reply as well as the document from Chevron ( http://tinyurl.com/2xwze7 )that
he refers to:

"
Great question,
In fact, Marine and Locomotive applications are the last to have the new
ULSD regulation take effect. Please see the attached material from Chevron.
Please look at the bottom paragraph on Page 2 and Figure 2.
I suspect that two factors explain why you still get non-ULSD fuel at your
local retailer. First, there is a huge quantity of stored non-ULSD fuel all
over the country. Since the 15ppm regulation has not gone into effect for
marine applications, this stored non-ULSD fuel is being funneled to the
outlets where it can still be used. For example, your local marine fuel
retailer. Second, some fuel used in the US is not refined here. Since the
ULSD fuel refined in the US is more expensive than non-ULSD, I suspect that
there is an increasing amount of fuel importing going on.
That said, I have not made a complete survey of all US refineries. It may
be that there are a few that are still manufacturing both fuel formulations.
It makes very little economic sense for a refinery to make two formulations
of diesel. I suspect that if there are any left, they won't continue for
long.
I appreciate the fact that you have read the article and look forward to
other questions.
Best regards,
Eric Gallant

On 2007-10-30 08:52:53 -0400, "Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com said:

An alternative that I use: biodiesel.

What about the hassles of growth? Bio in a car is one thing, you're
using the fuel up pretty quickly. But in a boat it'll sit there a lot
longer.

I haven't noticed any growth, but we've only had a problem once in 15
or so seasons, most of them 100% petro.

Thinking and guessing a bit, I wouldn't be surprised if growth would be
less: I have never noticed any algae in cooking vegetable oils kept
around for a long while.