Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel

On 2007-10-29 14:22:04 -0400, "claus" said:

Further to my post I checked with our local marina and they confirmed
that the diesel they sell is ULSD.

The local Volvo Penta dealer tells me that the ULSD fuel causes
increases engine wear (cylinder walls and fuel injector tips) and they
recommend adding STANADYNE Performance Formula, which is formulated
for ULSD fuel.

He also tells me that the ULSD makes the engine smoke more.... you figure :-()

An alternative that I use: biodiesel. I run somewhere between 30 and
50%. Much higher lubrication, better smell, and less smoke. Since we
use less than 10 gallons of fuel a year, the now 30% higher cost
($4/gallon vs about 3) is trivial compared to the benefits.

I'd run a higher percentage except that it seems straight bio doesn't
like the cold much, and we don't exactly turn fuel over very regularly
the past few years.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD