Default Low Oil Pressure at Idle, Volvo AD31B in the Tropics

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

I have no experience with your engine but usually there is a single
pressure relief valve located at the pump outlet, but if you have two,
and they are accessible I'd put a washer behind the spring on both and
see what happens.

He says his motor develops something like 50PSI at higher rpms, so it
doesn't sound like the pressure relief valve(s). Maybe the pump is
worn, perhaps the main bearings are going, perhaps the ambient
temperatures are higher than he's used to and that's thinning the oil
some,,, maybe a bit of all of the above?

If the pressure is in the ballpark and oil
consumption does not go up then I'd leave it alone - at least for now.

Fair enough.

Cheers
Marty
Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
web gateway!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----

Thanks for all the replies. I am believing that it all comes down to
an old worn engine. The manual I found states 31-42 psi at idle, so
at 15 psi I am pretty low. 59-71 psi at speed. Not quite as low
there. I am hoping to be able to get at the oil pump with out pulling
the motor. Now, if the rain would just stop I could get to work.
cheers all,
Kurt

Volvo Penta 5.0 Gxi - High RPM Idle johnny8bravo General 4 March 6th 07 07:49 PM
It's nice here in the Tropics Joe ASA 5 July 25th 06 07:48 PM
Idle [email protected] General 2 July 10th 06 02:12 PM
oil pressure is gone above 3800 rpm (volvo penta 3.0 from 1996) josZ General 9 September 5th 05 10:53 AM
Oil Pressure & Audio warning doesn't stop (Pressure Switch) Matt General 2 August 24th 04 03:27 AM