Mark Davis

Default Any comments on this Cruise?

Hey all...

My wife and I are planning to take our boat on a cruise through the keys
this March and wanted to start around Everglades City in South Florida...
We were thinking of Island Hopping on the way down to Key West and then
working our way back up.

Anyone done this? Any experiences would be great to hear. I am trying to
figure out where to put in, so any ideas there would be great (we would like
to put in on the south west side).

Thanks in advance!!

Mark.

Beverly Yelen

If you wish to island hop, you might prefer to take the Florida Intercoastal
Waterway or Hawk Channel on the ocean side of the keys. The Gulf side is
mainly isolated Keys, very natural, more birds, etc. We cruised from the
Spanish Channel to Sawyer Key on the Gulf. At that time, it was a nice
anchorage with deep water near the beach. Half of the island was private
with no admission, so I am not sure if you can still go on the beach. Near
Spanish Channel are the Content Keys, where dive boats go when it is too
rough on the ocean. You will need to check a cruising guide for the
directions from Everglades City. There are lots of shallows in Florida Bay.

On your return from Key West, there are many towns along the way. There are
also a lot of snorkeling and diving opportunities.
http://www.boating-on-florida-waterw...ionssouth.html shows
the route from Miami to Key West and you can do it in reverse. It has links
to some of the interesting places.

I hope that this has been of some help.

Bev

"Mark Davis" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hey all...

My wife and I are planning to take our boat on a cruise through the keys
this March and wanted to start around Everglades City in South Florida...
We were thinking of Island Hopping on the way down to Key West and then
working our way back up.

Anyone done this? Any experiences would be great to hear. I am trying to
figure out where to put in, so any ideas there would be great (we would

like
to put in on the south west side).

Thanks in advance!!

Mark.

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

"Mark Davis" wrote:

Hey all...

My wife and I are planning to take our boat on a cruise through the keys
this March and wanted to start around Everglades City in South Florida...
We were thinking of Island Hopping on the way down to Key West and then
working our way back up.

Anyone done this? Any experiences would be great to hear. I am trying to
figure out where to put in, so any ideas there would be great (we would like
to put in on the south west side).

What kind of boat?

I'm assuming some kind of trailerable power boat with not too deep a
keel?

Also, what do you mean by "working our way back up"? Back up to
Everglades City? Up to Miami?

How long to you expect to take, and what time of year?

I do not know anything about the west side of FL because it's a bit
shoal over there for us. We have gone down the intercoastal to Miami
and then down Hawk Channel to Key West.

It would be pretty easy to go up the ICW from Key West (on the ocean
side to Marathon and then cross over under 7 mile bridge and go up the
ICW on the Gulf/Bay side. Or, my SIL can get from Miami to Marathon
in his boat (27 ft power cat with twin engines) in 4 hours. (It takes
us about 2.5 days)

grandma Rosalie

Mark Davis

Thanks for the feedback...

Let me add some details...

We have a 27 foot power boat with about a 22" draft. Our idea was that we
have done the Atlantic side of the Keys before and were interested in
something a little different. We have heard that the West side is extremely
nice and we can still reach into the islands (like Ismorada, Marathon
etc)... We are going the first week of march and are taking about 10-12
days.

Thanks Again!
Mark.