Joe Joe is offline

Default Who's at fault here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hrUSs9ndA&NR=1

On 2007-10-17 14:47:31 -0400, Joe said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hrUSs9ndA&NR=1

BOTH boats.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On 2007-10-17 14:47:31 -0400, Joe said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hrUSs9ndA&NR=1

BOTH boats.

Probably so but it is an interesting situation, apparently between two
boats of significantly different speed. I see that sort of thing
quite often from the perspective of our relatively slow trawler and a
fast moving boat that is highly maneuverable. It is almost as though
the larger slower boat is stopped, and entirely up to the faster more
maneuverable boat to avoid the collision regardless of the
technicalities involved. Basically a faster boat has the ability to
maneuver into a situation where a collision becomes unavoidable, and
it almost looks to me as though that may have been involved in this
incident. That would put them at fault of course, even though
approaching from the starboard side of the larger boat.

Naturally the video is only of the last moments so we can't see what led
up to the collision, but if this was a normal head to head or nearly so
they both screwed up in many ways.... especially the boat the video was
being shot from.

\

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On 2007-10-17 14:47:31 -0400, Joe said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hrUSs9ndA&NR=1

BOTH boats.

Probably so but it is an interesting situation, apparently between two
boats of significantly different speed. I see that sort of thing
quite often from the perspective of our relatively slow trawler and a
fast moving boat that is highly maneuverable. It is almost as though
the larger slower boat is stopped, and entirely up to the faster more
maneuverable boat to avoid the collision regardless of the
technicalities involved. Basically a faster boat has the ability to
maneuver into a situation where a collision becomes unavoidable, and
it almost looks to me as though that may have been involved in this
incident. That would put them at fault of course, even though
approaching from the starboard side of the larger boat.

It didn't quite look like head-to-head. It looked like a crossing situation
somewhat. The boat on the right is right, but both are at fault. Both boats
should have turned to starboard. I don't see how you can say the faster boat
would have or wouldn't have the ability to maneuver. Looks like plenty of
sea room to me for both boats.

Idiots....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 2007-10-17 14:47:31 -0400, Joe said:

[...]

Somebody slap me but I agree with this post.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Capt. JG" wrote in
:

It didn't quite look like head-to-head. It looked like a crossing
situation somewhat. The boat on the right is right, but both are at
fault. Both boats should have turned to starboard. I don't see how you
can say the faster boat would have or wouldn't have the ability to
maneuver. Looks like plenty of sea room to me for both boats.

Idiots....

It's the "nearly so" part of that statement that gets a lot of people in
trouble.
Yes, at the time of this video, the boat taking the video should have come
right, but they are so close to that "nearly so" that I wonder about the
perspective leading up to this. BG not sure I'm explaining this
correctly

On 2007-10-17 14:47:31 -0400, Joe said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hrUSs9ndA&NR=1

BOTH boats.

Probably so but it is an interesting situation, apparently between
two
boats of significantly different speed. I see that sort of thing
quite often from the perspective of our relatively slow trawler and a
fast moving boat that is highly maneuverable. It is almost as though
the larger slower boat is stopped, and entirely up to the faster more
maneuverable boat to avoid the collision regardless of the
technicalities involved. Basically a faster boat has the ability to
maneuver into a situation where a collision becomes unavoidable, and
it almost looks to me as though that may have been involved in this
incident. That would put them at fault of course, even though
approaching from the starboard side of the larger boat.

How can a professional captain be so uninformed? That wasn't a
head-to-head situation. It's clearly a crossing situation. Look at the
relative angles. Duh!

Wilbur Hubbard

Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 17, 10:37 pm, otnmbrd wrote:
Naturally the video is only of the last moments so we can't see what led
up to the collision, but if this was a normal head to head or nearly so
they both screwed up in many ways.... especially the boat the video was
being shot from.

Seems the guy on the small boat did a quick half turn to port then
decides to stay on course, and the big boat is clueless. The shaking
of a fist in the air must be a local custom on the big boat

Clowns on auto pilots IMO. At the start you notice there is a fleet of
small vessels heading out all following the exact course. I bet it's
an area with heavy regular crossing situations. Both Captains assuming
the other will give way, until it's to late.

Did you notice the guy on the pulpit of the small boat? He's out
there in the collision. Only person you see who may have been hurt was
the person standing to port of the helmsman on the small boat as he or
she flys forward. Hope no one was below on the small boat forward or
in either engine room.

Joe

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:00:02 -0700, Joe wrote:

On Oct 17, 10:37 pm, otnmbrd wrote:

Naturally the video is only of the last moments so we can't see what led
up to the collision, but if this was a normal head to head or nearly so
they both screwed up in many ways.... especially the boat the video was
being shot from.

Seems the guy on the small boat did a quick half turn to port then
decides to stay on course, and the big boat is clueless. The shaking
of a fist in the air must be a local custom on the big boat

Clowns on auto pilots IMO. At the start you notice there is a fleet of
small vessels heading out all following the exact course. I bet it's
an area with heavy regular crossing situations. Both Captains assuming
the other will give way, until it's to late.

I've really noticed this the last few years, now that everyone has GPS
chart plotters and autopilot. Despite a whole ocean to spread out into,
we're all traveling along the same "ant lines" -- drawn between the same
waypoints on the same popular routes. The close calls are becoming more
frequent, and closer. Years ago we weren't shaving our waypoints so
closely, or steering as straight.

Unfortunately some of the worst games of "chicken" that I've seen were by
skippers of really large powerboats, who were probably professional
captains. I wish I had video to send to the Coast Guard.

Most people do play it safe though.

Matt O.