Scott Sexton

Default Who's fault is it?

Does anyone know who was cited for this accident?

http://www.m90.org/index.php?id=11568

Was it the CG for not altering course to avoid an emminent collision, or
the PB for not paying attention?

Scott H. Sexton help@
www.sexton.com sexton.com
Eeyore's Birthday Party http://eeyores.sexton.com
JohnH

*********************************************** **
Scott H. Sexton help@
www.sexton.com sexton.com
Eeyore's Birthday Party http://eeyores.sexton.com
*********************************************** **

Given no further info, I'd be blaming the CG.

Thanks for the post. 'Twas interesting.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Great video. I believe that if you see a vessel within your range of
view (12:00 to 4:00) it is the captain's responsiblity to yield to
that vessel, as that vessel has the right of way. If that is correct,
then the Coast Guard would be issued a citation.

Scott Sexton wrote:
Does anyone know who was cited for this accident?

http://www.m90.org/index.php?id=11568

Was it the CG for not altering course to avoid an emminent collision, or
the PB for not paying attention?

Scott H. Sexton help@
www.sexton.com sexton.com
Eeyore's Birthday Party http://eeyores.sexton.com

While the term "right of way" has fallen into general disuse among
modern mariners, if this were a situation involving two civilian boats
the boat approaching from starboard would be called the "stand on"
vessel and the vessel from which the video was shot would be the "give
way" vessel.

It would be incumbent upon *both* vessels to avoid the collision, and
under the COLREGS the prior understanding would be that the vessel
approaching from starboard would maintain course and speed unless it
became apparent that a collision was imminent. Under those same
COLREGS, the give way vessel would either change speed or (preferably)
alter course dramatically and visibly- normally to starboard to pass
astern of the stand on vessel.

It would take somebody better versed in the finite details of COLREGS
to say whether military, police, fire, or rescue vessels require all
other vessels to give way, but I would be surprised if that isn't the
case. By common sense alone, most of us avoid impeding fire, police, or
CG boats. I don't know whether the skipper of the CG boat could be
exonerated because he wasn't a civilian boat- but he or she should have
and could have avoided the collision with the little speed boat.
Obviously the small boat was in sight of the CG patrolboat and the risk
of collision was apparent.

That said, I can't understand why the skipper of the little speed boat
wasn't keeping a better watch. A single glance to port would have been
sufficient to alert him that even as the stand on boat (in a civilian
situation) he needed to do something to avoid wrecking his boat.

It's also another example of a problem that would have been resolved by
one of my pet crusades....recommending or requiring a VHF for every
boat operating in waters patrolled by the USCG.

Calif Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...

Scott Sexton wrote:
[...]

Both would probably be held responsible. As to the VHF, sometimes on
weekends and during derbies the VHF is turned off, there is so much bad talk
on 16. Swearing, racist comments, etc.

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Scott Sexton wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear that profane racists have taken over VHF down there. Is
16 your emergency hailing channel or are you in one of the CG districts
where the emergency hailing channel has been moved to 9? The Coast
Guard still jumps pretty quickly on Ch16 violators up this way, warning
them to take their traffic to another channel. VHF, partcularly Ch 16,
is such an important safety consideration that no bunch of mouthy
drunks making profane or racist comments should be allowed to disrupt
it.

JohnH

On 18 Feb 2006 12:26:23 -0800, wrote:

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Scott Sexton wrote:
[...]

Chesapeake Bay, on weekends is atrocious for Ch 16 violations. I'd like to
say it's all teenagers, but I know better.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Calif Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Scott Sexton wrote:
[...]

No, it is still 16 here. But when the derbies are going, seems to bring out
the worst. They are on it so much, the CG probably can not get a word in.
But since all the ship traffic is on 13, we monitor that, if we have it on.

RCE

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
hlink.net...

Both would probably be held responsible. As to the VHF, sometimes on
weekends and during derbies the VHF is turned off, there is so much bad
talk on 16. Swearing, racist comments, etc.

Besides, realistically, unless the small boat had a 100 watt amp and
external speaker system attached to the radio, he would probably never hear
the call in a small, open, boat clipping along as seen in the film.

RCE

NOYB

wrote in message
oups.com...

Scott Sexton wrote:
[...]

I have a VHF on my 17' Whaler, but when I'm operating at or near WOT, I
can't hear a thing that's being said on it.