BoatBanter.com

-   -   Who's at fault here (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/87167-whos-fault-here.html)

Joe October 17th 07 07:47 PM

Who's at fault here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hrUSs9ndA&NR=1

Jere Lull October 18th 07 03:11 AM

Who's at fault here

On 2007-10-17 14:47:31 -0400, Joe said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hrUSs9ndA&NR=1

BOTH boats.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Wayne.B October 18th 07 04:25 AM

Who's at fault here

On 2007-10-17 14:47:31 -0400, Joe said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hrUSs9ndA&NR=1

BOTH boats.

Probably so but it is an interesting situation, apparently between two
boats of significantly different speed. I see that sort of thing
quite often from the perspective of our relatively slow trawler and a
fast moving boat that is highly maneuverable. It is almost as though
the larger slower boat is stopped, and entirely up to the faster more
maneuverable boat to avoid the collision regardless of the
technicalities involved. Basically a faster boat has the ability to
maneuver into a situation where a collision becomes unavoidable, and
it almost looks to me as though that may have been involved in this
incident. That would put them at fault of course, even though
approaching from the starboard side of the larger boat.

otnmbrd October 18th 07 04:37 AM

Who's at fault here

Naturally the video is only of the last moments so we can't see what led
up to the collision, but if this was a normal head to head or nearly so
they both screwed up in many ways.... especially the boat the video was
being shot from.

\

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On 2007-10-17 14:47:31 -0400, Joe said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hrUSs9ndA&NR=1

BOTH boats.

Probably so but it is an interesting situation, apparently between two
boats of significantly different speed. I see that sort of thing
quite often from the perspective of our relatively slow trawler and a
fast moving boat that is highly maneuverable. It is almost as though
the larger slower boat is stopped, and entirely up to the faster more
maneuverable boat to avoid the collision regardless of the
technicalities involved. Basically a faster boat has the ability to
maneuver into a situation where a collision becomes unavoidable, and
it almost looks to me as though that may have been involved in this
incident. That would put them at fault of course, even though
approaching from the starboard side of the larger boat.

It didn't quite look like head-to-head. It looked like a crossing situation
somewhat. The boat on the right is right, but both are at fault. Both boats
should have turned to starboard. I don't see how you can say the faster boat
would have or wouldn't have the ability to maneuver. Looks like plenty of
sea room to me for both boats.

Idiots....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Armond Perretta October 18th 07 10:36 AM

Who's at fault here

Joe wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hrUSs9ndA&NR=1

The vessel from which the footage was taken was in this instance the "give
way vessel" under both Inland and International Rules. It almost appears
that this vessel had no one at the helm and was proceeding on autopilot and
without a lookout, but that's speculation.

Nowadays when I see situations like this, involving at least one commercial
vessel, and endangering so many passengers, I am no longer surprised. This
happens all too often and is quite preventable.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Wilbur Hubbard October 18th 07 02:47 PM

Who's at fault here

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hrUSs9ndA&NR=1

The vessel in the foreground is *primarily* at fault because he was the
give-way vessel having the other on his starboard bow. He should have
turned to starboard and passed to the rear of the vessel in the
background.

But, both are at partial fault for a number of reasons. Neither sounded
any warnings and neither took evasive action. It looks like a case where
both pilots were asleep at the wheel.

Wilbur Hubbard

On 2007-10-17 14:47:31 -0400, Joe said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hrUSs9ndA&NR=1

BOTH boats.

Probably so but it is an interesting situation, apparently between
two
boats of significantly different speed. I see that sort of thing
quite often from the perspective of our relatively slow trawler and a
fast moving boat that is highly maneuverable. It is almost as though
the larger slower boat is stopped, and entirely up to the faster more
maneuverable boat to avoid the collision regardless of the
technicalities involved. Basically a faster boat has the ability to
maneuver into a situation where a collision becomes unavoidable, and
it almost looks to me as though that may have been involved in this
incident. That would put them at fault of course, even though
approaching from the starboard side of the larger boat.

How can a professional captain be so uninformed? That wasn't a
head-to-head situation. It's clearly a crossing situation. Look at the
relative angles. Duh!

Wilbur Hubbard

On 2007-10-17 14:47:31 -0400, Joe said:

[...]

Somebody slap me but I agree with this post.

Wilbur Hubbard

Joe October 18th 07 03:00 PM

Who's at fault here

On Oct 17, 10:37 pm, otnmbrd wrote:
Naturally the video is only of the last moments so we can't see what led
up to the collision, but if this was a normal head to head or nearly so
they both screwed up in many ways.... especially the boat the video was
being shot from.

Seems the guy on the small boat did a quick half turn to port then
decides to stay on course, and the big boat is clueless. The shaking
of a fist in the air must be a local custom on the big boat

Clowns on auto pilots IMO. At the start you notice there is a fleet of
small vessels heading out all following the exact course. I bet it's
an area with heavy regular crossing situations. Both Captains assuming
the other will give way, until it's to late.

Did you notice the guy on the pulpit of the small boat? He's out
there in the collision. Only person you see who may have been hurt was
the person standing to port of the helmsman on the small boat as he or
she flys forward. Hope no one was below on the small boat forward or
in either engine room.

Joe