Default MooR FasT, does it really work?

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:31:41 GMT, Harlan Lachman
wrote:

In article ,
(Richard Casady) wrote:

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 07:15:47 +0700,
wrote:

A guy in the next slip to me had one and said it worked fine. He
bought it because many buoys in Europe apparently do not have a
mooring line, just a ring on the top.

From the looks of the thing he had it for a year or more, stored in
clips on one shroud.

I don't know exactly what it is, but won't a boathook pretty much do
the job?

Casady

If you look at the website, it should be clear that a boathook can do
the same job but with much more effort (assuming the MooR FasT works).

I never understand why some folks decry innovative folks who develop
clever solutions for problems that make things easier. Yes, traditional
equipment can get the job done. But obviously not easily for everyone.

I have not used this product but it clearly is a well thought out
concept.

Bruce, let us know if you use it and like it.

harlan

I don't have one. I said that a neighboring boat had one and swore by
it.

By the way, a boathook won't work for what these things were designed
for. Over here (and according to the neighbor boat, in Europe) you
quite frequently find moorings that consist of the anchor, anchor rode
and a float. The float may be a plastic ball, say 2.5 feet in diameter
but may also be a steel drum the size of a 55 gal. drum. The only
attaching point is a ring on the top of the float. No way to pass a
mooring line through that ring from the deck unless you have arms five
feet long.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 09:37:25 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Really? Wow... the mooring balls around here are pretty hefty... not much
chance of moving one with a boat hook.

Exactly, especially on a boat with high freeboard forward like a
trawler.

There is another solution using a large snap hook like a carbiner.

Attach a line to the snap hook large enough to hold the boat for a
while;

Tape the snap hook to the end of a boat hook using one or two wraps of
masking tape;

Reach out and snap the hook onto the top of the mooring ball;

Give the boat hook a yank to break away the masking tape;

At your leisure you can use the dinghy to rig a permanent mooring line
and detach the snap hook.

Net cost: zero for most folks.

wrote:

Really? Wow... the mooring balls around here are pretty hefty... not much
chance of moving one with a boat hook.

Exactly, especially on a boat with high freeboard forward like a
trawler.

There is another solution using a large snap hook like a carbiner.

Attach a line to the snap hook large enough to hold the boat for a
while;

Tape the snap hook to the end of a boat hook using one or two wraps of
masking tape;

Reach out and snap the hook onto the top of the mooring ball;

Give the boat hook a yank to break away the masking tape;

At your leisure you can use the dinghy to rig a permanent mooring line
and detach the snap hook.

Net cost: zero for most folks.

Sure... there are lots of solutions. The HH solution works fine, as do others. I've seen people do the upside down skyhook too.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote
Sure... there are lots of solutions.

harpoon launcher mounted on deck with a big needle loaded and a mooring line
threaded through the eye...

In article ,
Ernest Scribbler wrote:
"Jonathan Ganz" wrote
Sure... there are lots of solutions.

harpoon launcher mounted on deck with a big needle loaded and a mooring line
threaded through the eye...

Sorry, but that's for the jetskis.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote
harpoon launcher mounted on deck

Sorry, but that's for the jetskis.

Brilliant! A multi-function tool...

In article ,
Ernest Scribbler wrote:
"Jonathan Ganz" wrote
harpoon launcher mounted on deck

Sorry, but that's for the jetskis.

Brilliant! A multi-function tool...

When you're right you're right. heh

In article ,
Larry wrote:
(Jonathan Ganz) wrote in
:

harpoon launcher mounted on deck with a big needle loaded and a
mooring line threaded through the eye...

Sorry, but that's for the jetskis.

Can you imagine the line of lawyers standing on the dock waiting to
get a piece of some rich ******* in a yacht who took a potshot at a
jetskiier with a harpoon?....(c;

Yeah, but sometimes you have to live for the moment.

Fast! Martin Baxter ASA 0 December 20th 06 02:20 PM
Giant electromagnets to moor ships Gary General 1 April 30th 05 06:37 AM
Flying Bahamian Moor Bart Senior ASA 7 July 9th 04 07:18 PM
Ok to anchor/moor in a river? Scott Downey General 10 October 17th 03 03:45 AM