Ken Heaton

Default Nova Scotia Cruise Plans

If you want to pass around the South & East coasts of Cape Breton, plan on
stops at Louisbourg to see the Fortress of Louisbourg (plan a day) & Glace
Bay to see their Miner's Museum (including a tour of and actual coal mine)
and perhaps the Marconi National Historic Site (the father of radio, in
1902, the first official wireless message was sent from this site across the
Atlantic Ocean to England) (a half day for both these sites). And of course
if you're going to do that, come into Sydney Harbour and say hello!

Here's a couple of more links, the first to the St. Peters Canal has some
further useful links to interesting Cape Breton sights including those
mentioned above and the A G Bell Museum in Bedeck:

St. Peters Canal: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/stpeters/index_e.asp

A slight quibble, there is about a foot of tide in the lakes but you usual
don't notice it.

Tide Table for the Bras d'Or Lakes at Johnstown:
http://www.lau.chs-shc.dfo-mpo.gc.ca...on =5&zone=27
(select Johnstown from the drop down list, it's not on the map for some
reason)

--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
Bras d'Or is indeed a pleasurable experience. It is so different from
the outside coast that you would thnink you were in a different
planet.

Eagles and woodcocks abound. The tide doesn't go up and down at all,
so the vegetation extends to water's edge.

The A G Bell museum in Baddeck is a fascinating take. Once inside, you
might decide to skip PEI altogether.

However, since PEI now has a bridge (really) from NB it might be a
place to meet crew.

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 04:56:43 -0500, "Courtney Thomas,,,"
wrote:

Sheldon,

You might want to consider going through the canal at St.Peters into the
Bras d'Or Lakes, world's largest salt water lakes and most enjoyable
when warm but interesting anytime.[Don't know when you're going.] See
CHS 4275.

Instead of going through Strait of Canso, bear off to the East around
Isle Madame and to St.Peters.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Does one child rape really change Strom Thurmond's lifetime record?
For better or worse?

Ken Heaton

Damn spell-check, I know how to spell Baddeck, it doesn't.

Here's a couple of more links, the first to the St. Peters Canal has some
further useful links to interesting Cape Breton sights including those
mentioned above and the A G Bell Museum in Bedeck: (Baddeck)

--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada
kenheaton AT ess wye dee DOT eastlink DOT ca

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:55:07 -0400, "Ken Heaton"
wrote:

A slight quibble, there is about a foot of tide in the lakes but you usual
don't notice it.

Fair enough. If you have just sailed from Maine across the Bay of
Fundy you really don't notice it.

However, the current does flow in and out at the other end of the
lakes quite fast, and the water has to go somewhere, so I believe the
1 foot.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Does one child rape really change Strom Thurmond's lifetime record?
For better or worse?

Matt Colie

Ken,
Two questions:
Is the swing bridge at St. Peter still swung by two men on a capstan?
Can a sailboat still make it through the Bras d'Or to the east and out
at St Andrew's?
It was thirty some years ago I was there, but the memory still lives.
Matt Colie

Ken Heaton wrote:
Damn spell-check, I know how to spell Baddeck, it doesn't.

Here's a couple of more links, the first to the St. Peters Canal has some
further useful links to interesting Cape Breton sights including those
mentioned above and the A G Bell Museum in Bedeck: (Baddeck)

Ken Heaton

I believe the swing bridge at St. Peter's is now powered. I cross over it
in a car once and a while and have been there when it has opened to let a
boat through. I don't remember anyone on the bridge turning a handle. The
swing bridge at Mira Gut is still human powered. Ever been there?

The Great Bras d'Or Channel (to the east) is still entirely passable by sail
boats as long as their mast(s) fit under the Seal Island Bridge and a set of
high tension power lines about 5 miles up channel. The chart shows the
clearance under the bridge is 118' (36 Metres) and under the power lines is
115' (35 Metres) so it isn't a problem for most of us. ;-) The Bluenose
takes her top masts down to go under though. There are still large ocean
going bulk carriers that come into the lake through the Great Bras d'Or as
far as St. Patrick's Channel to load gypsum at Little Narrows. I think the
shallowest water they have to worry about is at the ocean mouth of the Great
Bras d'Or where they dredge once in a while to maintain over 25' (7.7
Metres) of depth. Again, not a problem for most of us ;-) We went out the
Great Bras d'Or this fall in a C&C 35 Mark 1 and made the entire run down
the channel under spinnaker. We left Baddeck in fog so thick we couldn't
see Kidston Island from the shore and ended up in sun so hot we had to go in
for a swim. This was sometime in September. It was a blast.

There is another outlet from the Bras d'Or Lakes to the ocean (well ,
technically the Gulf of St. Lawrence) to the east at the eastern end of St.
Andrews Channel under the highway bridge and out through the Little Bras
d'Or Channel. I don't have the chart for this passage so I don't know the
clearance but it is fairly low. A friend with a Tanzer 26 with its deck
stepped mast goes through there by partially dropping his mast to get under
and then restepping it. He's got it down to a system. I haven't been along
to witness it though.
--

Ken Heaton wrote:
Damn spell-check, I know how to spell Baddeck, it doesn't.

Here's a couple of more links, the first to the St. Peters Canal has

some
further useful links to interesting Cape Breton sights including those
mentioned above and the A G Bell Museum in Bedeck: (Baddeck)

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:49:44 -0500, Matt Colie
wrote:

Ken,
Two questions:
Is the swing bridge at St. Peter still swung by two men on a capstan?
Can a sailboat still make it through the Bras d'Or to the east and out
at St Andrew's?
It was thirty some years ago I was there, but the memory still lives.
Matt Colie

It is some years since I was there, but the bridge at St Peter canal
was manual, but it was not a swing bridge. It rolled diagonally onto
land on a pair for RR tracks.

The other end of the Lakes was a buoyed channel without a lock. The
tides ran pretty fast. It was plenty deep enough to carry 7 feet.