BoatBanter.com

-   -   Nova Scotia Cruise Plans (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8677-nova-scotia-cruise-plans.html)

Courtney Thomas,,, January 9th 04 09:56 AM

Nova Scotia Cruise Plans

Sheldon,

You might want to consider going through the canal at St.Peters into the
Bras d'Or Lakes, world's largest salt water lakes and most enjoyable
when warm but interesting anytime.[Don't know when you're going.] See
CHS 4275.

Instead of going through Strait of Canso, bear off to the East around
Isle Madame and to St.Peters.

Fresh Breezes !

Sheldon Haynie wrote:
After a hiatus due to family issues, Lioness will again be terrorizing the
North Atlantic. We are contemplating a 30 day Cruise to Nova Scotia and
perhaps PEI. Planning to go out 10 days, probably non stop to Halifax and
then on to PEI and back 20 days seeing what there is to see East of Bar
Harbor.

Any suggestions of

1. "must stop" at ports are welcome.

2. Which Charts? Canadian Hydrographic or someone else's?

3. Ports for meeting crew from US?

Thanks
Sheldon

Sheldon Haynie January 9th 04 08:07 PM

Nova Scotia Cruise Plans

--
Sheldon Haynie
Texas Instruments

Don White January 9th 04 09:43 PM

Nova Scotia Cruise Plans

Lunenburg would be a great stop on either end of the trip.
Halifax would be the easiest place to meet friends/crew..especially if they
fly in.
A must for me would be a passage through St. Peter's Canal on Cape Breton
Island. This would put you on the Bras d'Or lakes....probably the nicest
place to sail around here. Baddeck would be the 'must see port'.
** http://capebretonisland.com/ ** and ** http://explore.gov.ns.ca/
**
Our official charts would probably be the best, if a bit expensive at $
20.00 Cdn each.

Ken Heaton January 9th 04 09:59 PM

Nova Scotia Cruise Plans

A "must stop" would be a pass through the Bras d'Or Lakes on your way either
to or from PEI. Baddeck will probably turn up a few boats from the US (I
assume were talking July or August here). I use Canadian Hydrographic
charts but as I have no experience with any others I really can't offer a
fair opinion. Here's a few links that may be of interest, the first from a
fellow poster on rec.boats.cruising:

Jim Thompson PEI & Bras d'Or Boating: http://jimthompson.net/boating/

Nova Scotia Yachting Association: http://www.nsya.ns.ca/ (the links to
member clubs might be useful)

Marine Weather Forecasts:
http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/marine/region_10_e.html

Canadian Hydrographic Charts: http://www.shc.gc.ca/chs/en/products/

Tides Currents & Water Levels:
http://www.lau.chs-shc.dfo-mpo.gc.ca...h/Canada.shtml
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

Rodney Myrvaagnes January 10th 04 10:52 PM

Nova Scotia Cruise Plans

Bras d'Or is indeed a pleasurable experience. It is so different from
the outside coast that you would thnink you were in a different
planet.

Eagles and woodcocks abound. The tide doesn't go up and down at all,
so the vegetation extends to water's edge.

The A G Bell museum in Baddeck is a fascinating take. Once inside, you
might decide to skip PEI altogether.

However, since PEI now has a bridge (really) from NB it might be a
place to meet crew.

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 04:56:43 -0500, "Courtney Thomas,,,"
wrote:

Sheldon,

You might want to consider going through the canal at St.Peters into the
Bras d'Or Lakes, world's largest salt water lakes and most enjoyable
when warm but interesting anytime.[Don't know when you're going.] See
CHS 4275.

Instead of going through Strait of Canso, bear off to the East around
Isle Madame and to St.Peters.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Does one child rape really change Strom Thurmond's lifetime record?
For better or worse?

Ken Heaton January 10th 04 11:55 PM

Nova Scotia Cruise Plans

If you want to pass around the South & East coasts of Cape Breton, plan on
stops at Louisbourg to see the Fortress of Louisbourg (plan a day) & Glace
Bay to see their Miner's Museum (including a tour of and actual coal mine)
and perhaps the Marconi National Historic Site (the father of radio, in
1902, the first official wireless message was sent from this site across the
Atlantic Ocean to England) (a half day for both these sites). And of course
if you're going to do that, come into Sydney Harbour and say hello!

Here's a couple of more links, the first to the St. Peters Canal has some
further useful links to interesting Cape Breton sights including those
mentioned above and the A G Bell Museum in Bedeck:

St. Peters Canal: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/stpeters/index_e.asp

A slight quibble, there is about a foot of tide in the lakes but you usual
don't notice it.

Tide Table for the Bras d'Or Lakes at Johnstown:
http://www.lau.chs-shc.dfo-mpo.gc.ca...on =5&zone=27
(select Johnstown from the drop down list, it's not on the map for some
reason)