Default Head Question for Peggy

Peggy,

Installed a new holding tank, macerator and head in my boat. After sitting
for a year and a half in storage, I am having some trouble (go figure :-) ).
The head flushes into the tank, the macerator operates, but won't discharge.
Seems that the tank wasn't flushed propery & some clog in lines, or bug's
nest (stored ashore). Any ideas for uncloging?

Glenn.
s/v Seawing

Glenn (s/v Seawing) wrote:
Peggy,

Installed a new holding tank, macerator and head in my boat. After sitting
for a year and a half in storage, I am having some trouble (go figure :-) ).
The head flushes into the tank, the macerator operates, but won't discharge.
Seems that the tank wasn't flushed propery & some clog in lines, or bug's
nest (stored ashore). Any ideas for uncloging?

I don't THINK your problem is a clog in the tank discharge line(s). My
guess: either the tank vent is blocked--dirt daubers love to build
nests in 'em--or the macerator needs a new impeller..or maybe both. And
it's also possible that the discharge thru-hull may have a dirt dauber
nest in it too (you DID remember to open the seacock?? Unless the
thru-hull is above the waterline and doesn't have one...which would
increase of the odds of a dirt dauber nest in it).

If the macerator started a bit hard, the impeller was prob'ly stuck to
the inside of its housing...starting cracked a vein. Running it with
nothing going through it will also create dry friction heat that'll
destroy an impeller in a just a couple minutes. And, impellers do wear
out. Don't rely on visual inspection...replace it as PREVENTIVE maintenance.

Scrape anything you find in the vent thru-hull out with screw driver
blade. It would also be a good idea to check the vent line connection to
the tank too...'cuz if the tank contents spilled into the vent when the
boat is heeled, that'll cause waste to build up in the tank vent fitting
and that end of the vent line.

Once you're sure the vent is open, I strongly recommend that you pump
out--instead of dumping--the tank and rinse it out very thoroughly to
eliminate any sludge in it. Put water down the deck pumpout deck
fitting--'cuz that sends it into the tank at the bottom to stir up any
sludge and hold it in suspension so it can be flushed out. You don't
have to fill the tank each time...just a few gallons...pump that
out...repeat...repeat...till you're pumping out clean water. I'd do this
before replacing the macerator impeller.

If this doesn't solve your problem, get back to me...we'll figure out
how to find and clear any clog.
--
Peggie
----------

Thanks makes alot of sense. I'll do that. Pulling the plumbing apart for
my head is not usually high on my list of favorite activities. I really
appreaciate your advise. On the "To Do" list it goes.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
news
Glenn (s/v Seawing) wrote:
Peggy,

Installed a new holding tank, macerator and head in my boat. After
sitting
for a year and a half in storage, I am having some trouble (go figure
:-) ).