Default 27 Foot Boats

My wife and I have had a 30 year old swing keel Catalina 22 for five
years.We just spent four weeks sailing it from Port Townsend WA, where
we live, to Princess Louisa Inlet. The boat handled everything fine,
but we are beginning to think we want something a bit bigger if we are
going to do more of the same and perhaps go further north.

We have been so pleased with the C22 that we are starting to look for
a C27 in the $10,000-12,000 range. However I recall reading somewhere
that the old C27s didn't sail too well and the Catalina 270,
introduced in 1994, was a big improvement - though that is probably
outside our price range.

We need a boat with headroom around 6 ft, and easily singlehanded as I
can't always persuade the first mate to come.

Does anyone have any comments on the C27, or alternative boats of this
size ?

Thanks in advance

Richard Isherwood

"Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:24:10 -0000, "
said:

Does anyone have any comments on the C27, or alternative boats of this
size ?

You might take a look at the CS27. We looked at a lot of Catalina 27s
before
buying our CS. The CS is just a small amount faster, and is a well-built
Camper and Nicholson design. It does carry a slightly greater draft than
the
Catalina unless you get it in the shoal draft version.

I've sailed a C27 for several years. They're fairly bullet-proof and sail
well. You can also get them for a very decent price and in good shape if
you're willing to look carefully. Ours had the ol' Atomic 4, but we never
had a problem with it... started like a car engine on the first try. You
just need to remember to use the blower. There are lots and lots of them out
there, so getting parts/info is easy. All that said, I almost bought a CS
when I sold my other boat. I was very impressed with the design and sailing
qualities.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sep 4, 8:24 am, "
wrote:
[...]

The Catalina 27 does indeed sail VERY well (the 30, not so much...).
It's a great value for the money, and there's little weather in
Georgia Strait that they can't handle.

I'm looking in the same market (I ruled out the Cat 27 cuz, well, I've
had a 36 for 17 yrs and want something different). I'm looking at Cal
27s (popular in the US) and Crown 28s (popular in Vancouver). They
both are more suited to heavy weather than the Catalina, but cost a
bit more (depending on condition).

Unfortunately, whatever financial disaster befell the sailing industry
in the 80s and wiped out so many mfrs (Cal, Islander, Mirage...) also
for some reason made the under-30 boats unpopular: everyone wanted
over 30. So earlier 25-29ft boats that were often the "flagship" of
the fleet became the "scaled-down" or "entry-level" boats. So, the
more modern small boats had 32 ft of stuff crammed into 28ft of space
(look at how big the door is on the Hunter 28 head, and imagine
yourself trying to get through it in full heavy-weather gear!)
Conclusion: get an older boat in good shape rather than looking at
newer ones.

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

On Sep 4, 10:04 am, druid wrote:
On Sep 4, 8:24 am, "
wrote:

[...]

Thanks to you all for the comments.

Any opinions on San Juan 28s? There are at least two 1978s for sale
around here.

Richard

said:

Does anyone have any comments on the C27, or alternative boats of this
size ?

You might take a look at the CS27. We looked at a lot of Catalina 27s
before
buying our CS. The CS is just a small amount faster, and is a well-built
Camper and Nicholson design. It does carry a slightly greater draft than
the
Catalina unless you get it in the shoal draft version.

I've sailed a C27 for several years. They're fairly bullet-proof and sail
well. You can also get them for a very decent price and in good shape if
you're willing to look carefully.

Not very many CS 27's here on the West Coast. Also, didn't like the
outboard rudder - for one thing, how do you convert to wheel steering if
you want to?

True, it's a well-made, good sailing boat, but just not a lot of them out
here (and would cost $5K to ship one from the East).

Ditto the Ericson 28: a VERY nice boat, but can't find one out here.
(Lots of E27's, which are COMPLETELY different - very slow!)

OTOH, you Easterners (and US) are devoid of the Venerable Crown 28 - an
exellent boat built here in North Van.

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

No Name

I have owned a 1982, 27 Mirage designed by Robert Perry until last year.
I have cruised the Bay of Fundy, Gulf of St Laurent, Coast of Maine and Nova
Scotia for years not to mention Lake Champlain.
The problems I had with this Mirage were related to the diesel engine.
Before finalizing your decision I would look this Robert Perry design. As
for the CS 27 I would inquire about the bow buoyancy in rough weather. The
shape of the hull (similar to a cognac class) is such that when close to
concrete or wood wharf the freeboard makes contact before the toe rail.
Many people have used fender boards with positive results. As for the
Catalina I do not have any comment.
news

wrote:

[...]

Look at a Columbia 8.3, very solid, comfortable. Built when Columbia
was still putting a lot into their sub 30' boats (apparently the wrong
approach, they went out of business on this model series). If your
definition of sailing well is blazing speed, it ain't. If your
definition is smooth, sea kindly with great balance in all
conditions, it is.

Frank

wrote in message
oups.com...
My wife and I have had a 30 year old swing keel Catalina 22 for five
years.We just spent four weeks sailing it from Port Townsend WA, where
we live, to Princess Louisa Inlet. The boat handled everything fine,
but we are beginning to think we want something a bit bigger if we are
going to do more of the same and perhaps go further north.

We have been so pleased with the C22 that we are starting to look for
a C27 in the $10,000-12,000 range. However I recall reading somewhere
that the old C27s didn't sail too well and the Catalina 270,
introduced in 1994, was a big improvement - though that is probably
outside our price range.

We need a boat with headroom around 6 ft, and easily singlehanded as I
can't always persuade the first mate to come.

Does anyone have any comments on the C27, or alternative boats of this
size ?

The best 27-footer ever built and you can find one for sale from time to
time.

http://captneal.homestead.com/Vessel.html (from my mentor's site) The
good Captain has told me he has offers all the time from people who want
to buy his find blue-water cruising vessel. He's been offered up to 20
grand but refuses to sell because it would take close to 40 or 50 grand
in labor and equipment to build up a bare Coronado 27 to the same specs.

Be sure to follow the links at the bottom of the page to see lots of
pictures of the inside and outside of this impressive vessel. You'll
understand the meaning of "Bristol fashion."

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sep 5, 5:45 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Wilbur,

Thanks, but I am not sure what you are saying. Is a Coronado
27 a great boat in itself, or is it just that your Captain's
individually modified boat is a great boat ?

Richard

Bob Bob is offline

On Sep 4, 8:24 am, "
wrote:

We have been so pleased with the C22 that we are starting to look for
a C27 in the $10,000-12,000 range.

Does anyone have any comments on the C27, or alternative boats of this
size ?

Hi Richard:

I picked up my boat in PT summer 2001 Then singlehanded it down the
Oregon coast. Wish I could have spent more time in PT. Sailing your
and area out to Neah Bay requires a special boat. 48N is no place for
a flimsy dayboat. Try the following link from Mahina Inc.:

http://www.mahina.com/cruise.html#boats4cruising

Bob

25 foot umiak Two meter troll General 0 June 13th 07 11:33 PM
foot in mouth Capt. JG ASA 6 April 16th 07 06:24 AM
Expense per foot mscres Boat Building 8 December 18th 06 02:40 PM
30 to 35-foot boats, days used? Jim Cate ASA 159 April 13th 04 12:28 PM
FS: 7 foot oars in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 03:22 AM