Frank Taylor, Jr.

Default Gel coat repair

My boat has a couple of spots on the botton of the hull where hte gelcoat
has cracked and a few small chips have come out. I would like to repair
this myself but I have never done gel coat repair. Since it is on the bottom
of the hull, I am not as much concerned about color matching as I would be
if the damage were in another area but I do want to make sure that it will
be structurally sound.

Can anyone give me information on how I can do this myself.

Thanks

Frank

Bruce

Can you spray in your yard?

Bruce

Can you spray in your yard?

Eric

Check out Mini-Craft of Florida, they sell gelcoat repair kits and can
match many manufacturer's standard gelcoat colors. They also provide
instructional seminars. See http://www.minicraft.com on the web.

Eric

"Frank Taylor, Jr." wrote in message ...
My boat has a couple of spots on the botton of the hull where hte gelcoat
has cracked and a few small chips have come out. I would like to repair
this myself but I have never done gel coat repair. Since it is on the bottom
of the hull, I am not as much concerned about color matching as I would be
if the damage were in another area but I do want to make sure that it will
be structurally sound.

Can anyone give me information on how I can do this myself.

Thanks

Frank

Frank Taylor, Jr.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I can spray in the yard that we have at my marina.

"Bruce" wrote in message
Can you spray in your yard?

Frank Taylor, Jr.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I can spray in the yard that we have at my marina.

"Bruce" wrote in message
Can you spray in your yard?

Bruce

Use 3m marine grade body filler to fill in the deep groves. It is a
compatable product to the gelcoat fiberglass on the boat now. Fair smoth
with 80 grit and spray the first session with the gelcoat from Minicraft.
The gelcoat will fill the sanding scratches. If the first application is
close to being right, block sand with 400 and buff with 3m super compound.
If you want a finish that is smooth and glossy at one shot, mix the gelcoat
one to one with Duralac. Apply up to 40 mils of gelcoat
Bruce
--
See how our Endeavour is progressing at
www.cruisinglife.net/horizonproject.htm