Default Anchor watch by GPS - what do you use to wake you at all times if necessary

My GPS has a nice featu anchor watch, including an alarm output (also
for other alarms) to drive a relay (0.5 A maximum).

What do you connect that will wake you under all circumstances?

TIA

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com

"Marc Heusser" alid wrote
in message ...
My GPS has a nice featu anchor watch, including an alarm output (also
for other alarms) to drive a relay (0.5 A maximum).

What do you connect that will wake you under all circumstances?

TIA

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com
remove CHEERS and from MERCIAL to get valid e-mail

Electric cattle prod?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:41:28 +0200, Marc Heusser
alid wrote:

My GPS has a nice featu anchor watch, including an alarm output (also
for other alarms) to drive a relay (0.5 A maximum).

What do you connect that will wake you under all circumstances?

You should connect the largest high quality anchor that you and your
boat can handle, sufficient chain and line for your water depth (at
least 5 to 1 scope at high tide), ensure the anchor is well set by
backing down hard on it with the engine, and go to sleep. If you do
that faithfully you will be OK in all but the strongest wind squall,
and trust me on this, that *will* wake you up.

In article ,
"Capt. JG" wrote:

"Marc Heusser" alid wrote
in message ...
My GPS has a nice featu anchor watch, including an alarm output (also
for other alarms) to drive a relay (0.5 A maximum).

What do you connect that will wake you under all circumstances?

Electric cattle prod?

Do you? :-)

I thought of somewhat less drastic means that still work according to
experience ;-)

Marc

alid wrote:

My GPS has a nice featu anchor watch, including an alarm output
(also
for other alarms) to drive a relay (0.5 A maximum).

What do you connect that will wake you under all circumstances?

You should connect the largest high quality anchor that you and your
boat can handle, sufficient chain and line for your water depth (at
least 5 to 1 scope at high tide), ensure the anchor is well set by
backing down hard on it with the engine, and go to sleep. If you do
that faithfully you will be OK in all but the strongest wind squall,
and trust me on this, that *will* wake you up.

Yours is an inadequate solution to safe and secure anchoring. This is
how it MUST be done in order to never drag anchor no matter a squall or
a change in current as is the case in most tidal areas.

One must use no fewer than 2 large anchors and they must be set against
each other either by backing down on them or, better yet, when the
conditions are favorable by diving on them and setting them by hand. You
must choose the right anchor depending on what the holding ground
consists of. This is yet another reason to dive on your anchors because
often local conditions might not be as stated on the chart of the area.

The angle between the two rodes off the bows of your boat should be at
least 90 degrees but, better still up to 150 degrees with enough
cantenary so neither rode becomes wrapped around keel or rudder. People
who rely solely on one anchor and expect not to drag are idiots who
undoubtedly attended the Skip Grundlacks school of sailing.

Wilbur Hubbard

Yet again Wilbur you have shown that you need to take a chill
pill !!

Iv'e been reading rec.boats.cruising for years now, but I felt quite
strongly about this comment so this is my first post.

Marcs question was what should you connect the relay to in order to
trigger a device to wake you up. Perhaps an electric car horn would
be a good idea?

You said "Yours is an inadequate solution to safe and secure
anchoring. This is how it MUST be done in order to never drag
anchor ...."

Firstly, you can't say you will NEVER drag anchor.. that's just silly.

A single anchor is not nesissarily inadequate, I have been sailing
for 20 years and have never dragged anchor. We have sailed all over
the UK especially the West coast of Scotland, where you have to anchor
all the time. No marinas about (thank god!)

We use a 70 pound CQR with All chain (10mm) rode. This is to hold a
20 ton full-length keel 43ft Ketch. If we are worried about the
anchor dragging, we stay on the boat. On the cathead stowed next to
the big CQR is a 45 pound CQR just incase we need a second anchor.

It would be an enornous hassle having to deploy 2 anchors all the
time. Infact, it it probably a bit dangerous since if you got them
tangled up, you could end up in an even bigger mess than just a
dragged anchor. The vast majority of the time a single anchor (all
chain rode, is there any other ?? ) will suffice. If you know
that bad weather is on the way then it would be prudent to deploy a
second anchor before the bad weather arrived.

This happened to us a few years ago when we were anchored in Ardminish
Bay on the island of Gigha, Scotland. There is a tough sandy bottom
here. We sat out a full week of Force 9 gusting 10 in our last boat,
a 32ft 5Ton sloop with a 35lb CQR and a 25lb CQR.

The big anchor was deployed when all was calm. The bad weather came
very quickly which meant it was too dangerous to row the secondry
anchor out for a "text book" setup. Instead we motored forward as
much as we could, dropped the 25lb CQR . In the end the 25lb CQR did
most of the holding. We didn't drag an inch.

Wilbur, you do make some valid points - like diving on your anchor if
you can, However to call the majority of good sailors who deploy
single anchors "idiots who
undoubtedly attended the Skip Grundlacks school of sailing" - That's
just plain offensive!!

Fair Winds,

Iain

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:28:57 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

People
who rely solely on one anchor and expect not to drag are idiots who
undoubtedly attended the Skip Grundlacks school of sailing.

Idiots like the US Navy and every anchored commercial ship that I've
ever seen.

Go away Wilbur, you are the challenged one in this discussion.

wrote:

People
who rely solely on one anchor and expect not to drag are idiots who
undoubtedly attended the Skip Grundlacks school of sailing.

Idiots like the US Navy and every anchored commercial ship that I've
ever seen.

Go away Wilbur, you are the challenged one in this discussion.

Wilbur has the best anchoring solution. He carries 10 45# CQR's on his
Mouseturd boat, setting three forward, three aft, and two on each beam. This
keeps his 27 foot vessel perfectly secure on Lake Okeechobee. I salute him.

"Marc Heusser" alid wrote
in message ...
In article ,
"Capt. JG" wrote:

"Marc Heusser" alid
wrote
in message ...

Heh... no, but you said all circumstances. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

wrote:

People
who rely solely on one anchor and expect not to drag are idiots who
undoubtedly attended the Skip Grundlacks school of sailing.

Idiots like the US Navy and every anchored commercial ship that I've
ever seen.

Go away Wilbur, you are the challenged one in this discussion.

Wilbur has the best anchoring solution. He carries 10 45# CQR's on his
Mouseturd boat, setting three forward, three aft, and two on each beam.
This keeps his 27 foot vessel perfectly secure on Lake Okeechobee. I
salute him.

Nope. He's got 11. The last one is permanently attached to the bottom of his
keel.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Anchor Watch Cruising 4 May 21st 07 01:38 AM
WOW, WHAT A WAKE UP! tom ASA 0 April 27th 07 10:28 PM
Sometimes you have to watch where you anchor Jeannette Cruising 2 February 10th 06 06:49 AM
Anchor watch with GPS Robert Seynaeve General 13 March 21st 05 08:22 PM
land anchor vs fluke anchor for anchors set directly on beach Laura Cruising 5 June 3rd 04 01:20 PM