Default Anchor watch by GPS - what do you use to wake you at all times if necessary

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:28:57 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

People
who rely solely on one anchor and expect not to drag are idiots who
undoubtedly attended the Skip Grundlacks school of sailing.

Idiots like the US Navy and every anchored commercial ship that I've
ever seen.

Go away Wilbur, you are the challenged one in this discussion.

Wilbur has the best anchoring solution. He carries 10 45# CQR's on his
Mouseturd boat, setting three forward, three aft, and two on each beam.
This keeps his 27 foot vessel perfectly secure on Lake Okeechobee. I
salute him.

Nope. He's got 11. The last one is permanently attached to the bottom of
his keel.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Durnitall, I'm always forgetting about that last one.

In article ,
Wayne.B wrote:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:41:28 +0200, Marc Heusser
alid wrote:

My GPS has a nice featu anchor watch, including an alarm output (also
for other alarms) to drive a relay (0.5 A maximum).

What do you connect that will wake you under all circumstances?

You should connect the largest high quality anchor that you and your
boat can handle, sufficient chain and line for your water depth (at
least 5 to 1 scope at high tide), ensure the anchor is well set by
backing down hard on it with the engine, and go to sleep. If you do
that faithfully you will be OK in all but the strongest wind squall,
and trust me on this, that *will* wake you up.

Well thanks all - I did not expect the full lecture on how to anchor.
I tend to be rather thorough on that (with the exception of diving -
sorry, I can't).
I did not have the intention of replacing good anchoring practice with
the GPS, it is just that I tend to be very careful and use all available
devices to ensure safety if I can.

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com

Marc Heusser wrote:

alid wrote:

[...]

Marc,

I use Oziexplorer's excellent anchor-watch facility, and make sure the
volume on my laptop is turned up full. You can also add speakers to the
laptop or connect the boat's hi-fi speaker to the laptop. The laptop has
more facilities than a GPS, and is therefore safer, so long as you have
plenty of battery capacity.....................!

Dennis.

You can buy a LOUD bell from Aqualarm (www.aqualarm.net) in either 12
or 24 volts -- it will wake me every time and I'd think it would wake
most people in about any circumstance.

Cheers,
Michael Porter

Marc Heusser alid
wrote:

My GPS has a nice featu anchor watch, including an alarm output (also
for other alarms) to drive a relay (0.5 A maximum).

What do you connect that will wake you under all circumstances?

TIA

Marc

Michael Porter Marine Design
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com

alid wrote:

My GPS has a nice featu anchor watch, including an alarm output
(also
for other alarms) to drive a relay (0.5 A maximum).

What do you connect that will wake you under all circumstances?

TIA

Marc

Buy and learn to use a better anchoring system. Let the morning sun
wake you up.

Hear, hear! Exactly correct!

The point of anchoring is to stay put right where you anchored. The
point of anchor alarms is to notify you when you drag. The general point
is you NEVER will have any use for an anchor alarm provided you use
adequate anchors so you can't drag. Using one anchor, sooner or later,
conditions will be such that the anchor trips out and sometimes will not
re-set due to bottom conditions or even odd-ball things such as rocks
and shells stuck in the flukes so they can't pivot or an old tin can
stuck on the point of a plow or even abandoned anchors and chain that
keep your single anchor from doing it's job.

We're talking yachts here- not battleships so the ****** who made his
infantile comments about Navy ships is talking apples and oranges. Go
away!

Now, let's get to the bottom line. Relying on a single anchor and some
loud alarm to wake you up when you drag will not only bother others who
know how to anchor so they don't drag by waking them up too but will
actually encourage the anchor alarm user to use sloppy and inadequate
anchoring techniques.

What is not even considered by such selfish, rude and lazy individuals
is that dragging anchor is not an individual problem. No, sir! When you
drag anchor you can drag into another anchored vessel or into the path
of an underway vessel with the usual result of damage to both vessels. I
don't know about anybody else but this is unacceptable.

Drag into my boat because you anchored inadequately I guarantee there
will be hell to pay. You'll be fully awake at least for a few minutes
before I knock you unconscious. When you wake back up you'll still be
dragging but you'll have to deal with while nursing a broken jaw. I
believe in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

Wilbur Hubbard

Hi Marc,

You should be able to find a piezo buzzer alarm for a couple bucks at
Radio Shack. They require very low amperage (~10-20mA) so you wouldn't
even need a relay. You can find them with sound output over 100 db.
which will wake the dead. A quick google search yields these examples:

http://www.buzzersdirect.com/Product...ProductID=2057
http://www.radioshack.com/entry.jsp?...&entry=2062404

Under $10, too!

Jason

Marc Heusser wrote:
My GPS has a nice featu anchor watch, including an alarm output (also
for other alarms) to drive a relay (0.5 A maximum).

What do you connect that will wake you under all circumstances?

TIA

Marc

In article s.com,
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

What is not even considered by such selfish, rude and lazy individuals
is that dragging anchor is not an individual problem. ...

Drag into my boat because you anchored inadequately I guarantee there
will be hell to pay. You'll be fully awake at least for a few minutes
before I knock you unconscious. When you wake back up you'll still be
dragging but you'll have to deal with while nursing a broken jaw. I
believe in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

Wow - Wild West at its best :-)

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com
remove CHEERS and from MERCIAL to get valid e-mail

Hi Jason

In article ,
Jason wrote:

You should be able to find a piezo buzzer alarm for a couple bucks at
Radio Shack. They require very low amperage (~10-20mA) so you wouldn't
even need a relay. You can find them with sound output over 100 db.
which will wake the dead.

Thanks for good advice - this seems to be the best way to go, and simple
too.

Marc

Anchor Watch Cruising 4 May 21st 07 01:38 AM
WOW, WHAT A WAKE UP! tom ASA 0 April 27th 07 10:28 PM
Sometimes you have to watch where you anchor Jeannette Cruising 2 February 10th 06 06:49 AM
Anchor watch with GPS Robert Seynaeve General 13 March 21st 05 08:22 PM
land anchor vs fluke anchor for anchors set directly on beach Laura Cruising 5 June 3rd 04 01:20 PM