Eric H

Default FRS / GMRS Radio FCC licensing

Now we know why you sign in lower case, me.

Keith

My point was in the marketing of the radios. They marketed those FRS radios
for several years basically saying "you don't need a license!" Then they add
the GMRS frequencies, but don't really tell anybody that they'll need a
license that costs more than the radios to operate them legally. The folks
that bought them for me had no idea that we'd need licences. I was only
trying to notify those folks who didn't know.

Good luck to the FCC trying to enforce those laws with the hundreds of
thousands, if not millions of those radios that are out there now
unlicenced. You think any of them who gave their kids a pair for Christmas
are going to say... "now wait 'till we get a FCC licence honey!" Nah.

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message
The frequencies that are open to to the GMRS are in the little used
'business section' of the UHF band, and these frequencies have had
license requirements for years... so whats your bitch? Does that mean
Im due a refund after all these years? ... you know that answer.

Larry W4CSC

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 22:09:12 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:

Actuallly it was Radio Shack on this one......

No, Moto is the reason it has a 1/2w transmitter and the private
license fees are so rediculously high for other services. Motorola
wants everyone that needs a walkie talkie to buy TRUNKED RADIO SERVICE
from, who else, THEM!

A friend of mine applied to the private licensing contractor the FCC
uses to get a 150 Mhz band system license to put up a nice repeater
with a couple of base stations and a bunch of mobiles. He's in the
paging business and has been for 30+ years. They actually tried to
pull a fast one and told him there were no licenses available....until
he filed suit in court. Suddenly, all those dead 150 Mhz frequencies
we had been monitoring for 6 months WERE, in fact, available for
license. One of Moto's strings must have broken. One of the nice
walkies is sitting on my desk. I heard him calling his wife, earlier.
We even have a telephone interconnect I can use if my cellphone
coverage sucks. The repeater runs high power from 800' up a tower and
my 7 watt walkie works 70 miles inland.

My point was Motorola doesn't WANT you to have private, untaxed
communications over a mile or so.....see?

Joe Della Barba

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 07:02:38 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

My point was in the marketing of the radios. They marketed those FRS radios
for several years basically saying "you don't need a license!" Then they add
the GMRS frequencies, but don't really tell anybody that they'll need a
license that costs more than the radios to operate them legally. The folks
that bought them for me had no idea that we'd need licences. I was only
trying to notify those folks who didn't know.

Good luck to the FCC trying to enforce those laws with the hundreds of
thousands, if not millions of those radios that are out there now
unlicenced. You think any of them who gave their kids a pair for Christmas
are going to say... "now wait 'till we get a FCC licence honey!" Nah.

I think the most annoying part is that the average citizen can play
dumb, but a licensed ham or commercial operator will take a big hit
because "we know better", even though paying $75 to use a $20 radio is
a bit silly.
Joe N3HGB

Gary Schafer

wrote:

[...]

There were other companies selling those cheap radios long before
motorola got in that end of the business. Remember Ritron, Maxon etc.

Motorola sold more "private" repeater systems than anyone else. They
sold many thousands of them.

At one time there were no private vhf repeater frequencies available
except for low power short range stuff. Only public safety and
industrial.

Regards
Gary