posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default New way to depart the Marina?

"katy" wrote in message
Gregory Hall wrote:

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message

"katy" wrote in message
so what good is your boat to you, except as a resale

item, if you

become an amputee?

Ignorant girl. Tell that to Tristan Jones who wrote some

good sailing

books including "Outward Leg". He was an amputee.
http://www.tristanjones.org/outward.htm

I'll bet he would have traded his boat for a good leg,
anyday.

And *that* was Katy's point,

Nope. You're wrong. Her point was just like she said. Get your leg
amputated between boat and dock and then you've gotta sell your boat.
It's no good to you anymore except for resale. How can you possibly
get what you said out of what she said? She seems to think amputees
can't be sailors. It ain't nice dissing the handicapped. Acting like
a one-legged man's got nothing going for him. Needs to be sitting in
a wheel chair or the like. She's ignorant. And you're just like her.
So why don't you mind your own beeswax.

Greg

You're really a butt wipe, ya know....back in the bin with you...

Sheesh. Talk about anger issues. What a bitter old bat!

Greg

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

KLC Lewis wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

KLC Lewis wrote:

"katy" wrote in message

Tristan Jones was a liar and a pirate. He could wirte a good tale but if
you believed that bilge then you're as lame as he was.

Could you expand upon that a bit?

Tristan Jones
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Tristan Jones (May 8, 1924? - June 21, 1995) was an author and mariner who
wrote numerous books and articles, many in the first person, about
sailing. Since his stories tended to be a combination of both fact and
fiction in the tradition of Welsh story tellers, many of the details of
his early life are unknown.
Trivia

Mr. Jones was named, he claimed , for the island of Tristan da Cunha
because his parents were sailing near it when his mother entered labor.
The reality is that he was born Arthur Jones in Liverpool, the
illegitimate son of a Lancashire mill girl.

If you read any discussion boards regarding him, you will find that he was
a good spinner of yarn...I had an earthy uncle who loved the backwoods of
Northern Ontario, ate possum stew out of a big old cauldron, and told
whopper tales, too, that he purported to be true. Fascinating minds, yes,
but the truth? No way. There has also been much discussion about his
sexual proclivities. Now that he's dead, you find mostly those who want to
immortalize him and make him larger than life. I personally do not think
he is worthy of hero-worship although his books are great reads...as long
as you remember that they are fiction based on a little bit of fact. Yes,
the man could sail. So what? So can many here...so honor him as an author,
a good teller of tales, but don't honor him because he performed great
fetes of sailing magic..he didn't...

Ya, I was more interested in your "Tristan Jones was a pirate" comment. A
teller of TALL tales he certainly was.

I tried to find the corresponding discussion for that but it seems to
have disappeared...seems that many of the incidents he relates
(specifically, one with cheese) were actually theft...he liked to make
money on the side and was not adverse to hieing off with what he
considered "finder's keepers"...in that respect, he ;pirated other
people's goods...I doubt he was brave enough to actually do any piracy
at sea...
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:07:50 -0400, katy
wrote:

KLC Lewis wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

KLC Lewis wrote:

"katy" wrote in message

Tristan Jones was a liar and a pirate. He could wirte a good tale but if
you believed that bilge then you're as lame as he was.

Could you expand upon that a bit?

Tristan Jones
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[...]

Tristan lived out his last few years in Phuket Thailand and while I
don't know of any specific thefts he certainly was not a man to ever
repay a bill. He died owing everyone who ever loaned him money.

By the way, he lost his legs due to Diabetes which never seemed to
effect his drinking at all. Most of the people at Ao Chalong (the
district of Phuket where hung out) detested him as a loud mouthed,
obnoxious, drunken ,bum.

For some details of his acquisition of the Sea Dart see Ron Riel's
site as Ron sold him the boat.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

wrote:

KLC Lewis wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

KLC Lewis wrote:

"katy" wrote in message

Tristan Jones was a liar and a pirate. He could wirte a good tale but if
you believed that bilge then you're as lame as he was.

Could you expand upon that a bit?

Tristan Jones
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[...]

As far as his sexual proclivities, there is no question about that.
Any of the people in Phuket who knew him was well aware of his tastes
in partners. In fact he appeared to make no secret of the facts.

On the other hand, he probably did more single handed sailing in
small boats then any one else before or since.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)