Default More proof that Bruce on the Bangkok Dock is no sailor

Hey "Bruce in Bangkok" and "Wilbur Hubbard aka (well never
mind)"...

I for one... have enjoyed your on going threads and posts.

Sure there is a certain amount of B.S. and trolling that
exists... and yeh... the aforemetioned comment is directed
primarily toward Mr. Hubbard.

But out of it all... there has been some informative nautical
type opinions put forth that are of interest to a lot of us
viewers... from both of you.

Thanks to you both... for taking the time to keep us entertained
and in some respects informed.

There ain't nothin going on at ASA any more..! heh heh

Best regards to all

Bill

Anacapa Isle Marina
Channel Islands Harbor
Oxnard, California

" wrote in
oups.com:

Thanks to you both... for taking the time to keep us entertained
and in some respects informed.

If I were in Thailand, I wouldn't be much of a sailor, either. Oh, those
beautiful Thai girls!......(c;

Lucky *******....hee hee.

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:00:03 +0700, wrote:

y out board is almost ten years old and still going strong drinking
its 50::1 mix. Wonder if your 9.9 will last as long?

My outboard is more than eighty years old. Starts with a rope, of
course. One half HP. Powers an aluminum canoe. Grumman if it matters.

Casady

wrote:

y out board is almost ten years old and still going strong drinking
its 50::1 mix. Wonder if your 9.9 will last as long?

My outboard is more than eighty years old. Starts with a rope, of
course. One half HP. Powers an aluminum canoe. Grumman if it matters.

I apologise for unclear writing, but the canoe is the Grumman. The
motor is an Evenrude. Parts for the boat are sheet metal and rivets.
Neither has ever needed any parts. The motor doesn't necessarily have
high hours, no way to really tell. Sure as hell couldn't ask previous
owners, when we got it fifty years ago. It wasn't that old then, a
mere thirty years. We have a recoil start one horse that is only
slightly newer. We also had a duckboat. Twelve foot long, it was
shaped almost exactly like a WWII German S-Boat. [also called
E-boats], and was fast for the power, 22 mph with a five, and not bad
with the one. The canoe is scary fast with a three, the narrow beam
and all, but the one is nice. My dad used the half with his sixteen
foot schooner. { a converted cedar,with an oak keel, rowboat. Made
locally, the type hull was the standard local fishboat for decades}
got the hull free from a neighbor. Sat out for years, the keel had
rotted away. Cedar was still good. Replaced the keel with custom made
steel. Got it from the Des Moines firm that made the Gateway Arch, at
about the same time. They had two jobs that year.

Casady

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:48:04 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 03:27:46 GMT,
(Richard

wrote:

[...]

I knew that Grumman built boats but did n not know that they had built
engines also. I just assumed that hey were one of the early outboard
motor makers that disappeared in the early on. In looking things up I
did discover that Ole Evenrude was not the first maker of out boards,
which is sort of a standard belief here. There was actually an earlier
builder who appeared to be fairly successful but still disappeared
fairly early on. Waterman built up top 1,000 engines a year as far
back as 1905.

Aluminum was the first nail in the wooden boat market and when GRP
came along it pretty much killed the wooden boat makers.

Back in the days of wooden working boats all the lobster boats were
cedar on oak frames. From talking to the old folk the wood lasted but
the galvanized boat nails holding it together only lasted 10 years, or
so.

..

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:48:04 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 03:27:46 GMT,
(Richard

wrote:

[...]

.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

I remember watching Enoch Winslow steaming the oak frames and forming them
into the shapes that he needed. He used to build up to 40' boats. He would
start one in the fall and it would be on the way to the water on or about
Memorial Day. It was a one man operation and something to watch, especially
when it was all planked and he rolled it over to finish it out. My dad's
automobile garage was next door to his boat building shop. Most were
Eldridge-McGinnis designs, but he made three or four of his own lines.

Leanne

wrote in news:39gkc3904k7di1qdd8kqn8ku85bu60dt87@
4ax.com:

Aluminum was the first nail in the wooden boat market and when GRP
came along it pretty much killed the wooden boat makers.

Back in the days of wooden working boats all the lobster boats were
cedar on oak frames. From talking to the old folk the wood lasted but
the galvanized boat nails holding it together only lasted 10 years, or
so.

.

It did??

http://www.seaislandboatworks.com/
Can we build one for YOU?....(c;

(When they turn the hulls over, they have a huge party to attract local
boaters who provide the labor to turn the hulls over at the boatyard.
Great fun for all and gives you a feeling of doing something for wooden
boats.)

http://picasaweb.google.com/gshilling/LETSEEII
How beautiful they build them!.....all by hand....

Larry

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 02:54:24 +0000, Larry wrote:

[...]

Yes it really did. Now if you see a newly built "proper" wooden boat
people just stand around and stare.

I recently saw a 70 ft. schooner built to pre WW-I standards. All teak
and polished brass. Apparently the chap that owned it had two of them
and neither of them had a winch installed. All lines were hauled by
hand. The one I saw did have a man powered anchor capstan to raise the
anchor and (again the one I saw) had an auxiliary motor for
maneuvering in anchorages or marinas.

Apparently the business was to get group of people who wanted to learn
to sail "like they did in the good old days". I guess it was a success
as the one I saw was the second built.

But millionaire's yachts don't really tell the story. Where are all
the people that used to build Sharpys, Friendship Sloops,Chesapeake
Skipjack, Dorys, Skiffs and all the other wooden working boats - all
gone.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)

Ping Bruce in Bangkok Herodotus Cruising 28 August 19th 07 01:12 AM
Power sailor to wind sailor Two meter troll Cruising 43 March 23rd 07 11:32 AM
Proof I'm the Best Capt. Rob ASA 8 November 17th 05 02:59 AM
would like to build a low tide dock, or how do you get folks on your boat without a dock ? MIKE Cruising 6 May 12th 04 03:37 PM
Proof Gerard Weatherby ASA 0 June 26th 03 02:02 AM