Default Sailor's Prayers

I'm sorta partial to the multiple virgins reward, but can't stand the
rest of religion....

Scholars disagree but some say the reward is three white raisins...
Could leave a spirit cold at night...

-- Tom.

"Larry" wrote in message
Herodotus wrote in
:

reward in the afterlife

I'm sorta partial to the multiple virgins reward, but can't stand the
rest of religion....any religion.

So the question is, whatever did those poor virgins do to deserve such
punishment?

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:52:14 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
.. .
Herodotus wrote in
:

reward in the afterlife

I'm sorta partial to the multiple virgins reward, but can't stand the
rest of religion....any religion.

So the question is, whatever did those poor virgins do to deserve such
punishment?

I imagine that it was part of the accepted ritual of coming of age in
Babylonian society. It is mentioned in the literature that ugly ones
could sit there quite a while and that some fathers arranged for an
acceptable man to be ready as soon as their daughter sat down to do
her temple service to the god.

It must have been rather horrible to have some grubby smelly old man
throw a coin in your lap though. Can't have been much different from
the signorial rights of medieval squires and lords - first night with
the bride on her wedding night.

Ahh! those were the good old days when women were chattels and knew
their place and real men (like friend Wilbur) made all the
decisons...... sigh. Now men such as I have been reduced to seeking
their wife's advice on all sorts of things.

BTW the Babylonian temple worship catered for all tastes. They had
young boys as well. It is notable that the original name for the
Judaic-Christian-Moslem single god was El-Shaddah (later shortened to
'El') who was represented by a huge upright stone phallus

Getting off topic here.

Peter

"Herodotus" wrote in message
[...]

Ya, but I was referring to the poor "72 Virgins" doled-out to males who
arrive in Paradise.

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 18:15:02 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

Ya, but I was referring to the poor "72 Virgins" doled-out to males who
arrive in Paradise.

All those virgins sounds a bit boring to me, almost as boring as being
dressed in a white robe sitting on a cloud and playing a harp, Besides
it would be rather uncomfortable lying on your back to rest with those
bloody great wings. Also, most of the devout believers who are assured
that they are going upstairs when they die are, to put it quite
bluntly, terribly boring and uninteresting. I would believe myself
cast into Hades if I were forced to spend any time at all in company
with them. Besides are some of the pleasures we enjoy are the
forbidden ones - like cream cakes, tiramasu, key lime pie (with lots
of whipped cream) and fried foods. The guilt is part of the pleasure.

Our sect of Islam prefers to concentrate on the rewards on earth, not
in some mystical hereafter. You either make your own heaven or hell on
this earth - as I said, a bit like Zen Bhuddism. Cause and effect and
so on. Look up Rumi in Wikipedia.

Thus, I go back to my original response to Larry. Perhaps prayer is
silent talking to one's inner self. The sailor's prayers as posted
above seem to be pleas for help uttered mechanically out of fear.

Interesting to observe that even the nihilistic and atheistic Larry
has a spark of religious belief. Did you note how his interest in
religion picked up when he thought about the virgins? I'll make you a
good Moslem yet Larry.

cheers
Peter

On 2007-08-13 20:11:23 -0400, Herodotus said:

BTW, this is on topic. Ever noticed how some people, especially novices
start to move their lips in prayer when in what they think is a
threatening situation on a boat?

No. All mine think the "interesting" times are part of the ride. '-)

Had a newbie out a couple of months ago that was rooting for 40-degree
heel as I blew all sorts of short tacks trying to work around her.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Sailor's Flu Capt. Rob ASA 7 December 9th 05 05:57 PM
My Thoughts and Prayers... *JimH* General 13 July 8th 05 02:19 PM
Prayers for Ganz Bob Crantz ASA 8 June 9th 04 12:19 PM
FATHER NEEDS YOUR PRAYERS! CatherinesTea Cruising 2 August 3rd 03 05:24 AM