Default Autopilot

We've got an antiquated Cetrek autopilot aboard our 50-foot, 40000 lb.
sailboat that's developing lots of interesting but not positive quirks
-- for example, it sometimes decides to turn hard left when the proper
course is straight ahead. The electronic part drives a hydraulic pump
that in turn drives a linear piston. My questions:

1. If we change brands, can we continue to use the hydraulic drive?
How about the fluxgate compass?

2. What brand is the best value for the money?

Rob

Akka wrote in news:1186677165.073524.243390
@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

1. If we change brands, can we continue to use the hydraulic drive?
How about the fluxgate compass?

Akka. Name 1 piece of electronics you replaced on your boat that uses
the same sensors, sounders, control unit, actuators or other remotely
controlled gadgets as the old one it replaced.

Surely you jest! Hell, every time we come out with a new model
chartplotter it has to use a whole complete different technology of the
simplest chart plugins.....just so you can PAY AGAIN, their point
exactly.

I feel fortunate the new TV plugs into the same electrical outlet!...(c;
Shhh...Don't give 'em any ideas!

These *******s keep calling me so I'm feeding them to the spambots.
--
Sunrise Communications
1374 E. Republic Rd.

In article .com,
Akka wrote:

1. If we change brands, can we continue to use the hydraulic drive?

Well, It depends.... on just how your Hydraulic Drive system is designed.

If has a Motor that runs all the time (Like in anything over 100 Tons)
and you just use a set of Vickers Solenoids (Hough Marine type system)
to route your fluid for Port/Starboard movement, then YES, just about
anyones AutoPilot can besetup to drive your steering system.

If your system has a Motor that actually reverses direction to move the
Rams for Port/Starboard movement, then MAYBE you can retrofit a
"Glue System" to interface between any New AutoPilot, and your steering
system.

Best you go find a "Good" Autopilot Installer, or "Qualified" Marine
Electronic Tech and have him evaluate your Steering System for
convertability to some as yet to be determined AutoPilot System.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

"Akka" wrote in message
oups.com...
We've got an antiquated Cetrek autopilot aboard our 50-foot, 40000 lb.
sailboat that's developing lots of interesting but not positive quirks
-- for example, it sometimes decides to turn hard left when the proper
course is straight ahead. The electronic part drives a hydraulic pump
that in turn drives a linear piston. My questions:

1. If we change brands, can we continue to use the hydraulic drive?
How about the fluxgate compass?

2. What brand is the best value for the money?

Rob

I just finished installing a Raymarine ST7001 control head, 400G course
computer and Type 2 linear hydraulic drive unit. According to the Raymarine
manual the control head and computer can be used with other manufacturers
drive systems.
For the Raymarine system the 400G provides power to a reversing hydraulic
pump and power to a solenoid control bypass valve ("clutch"). It also has
control points for solenoid valves. You can get copies of the Raymarine
manuals from Customer Support on their website. You could study these to
see if your drive unit might be adaptable. You can also email them a tech
question. I doubt you can use your existing fluxgate compass but the
Raymarine unit is not too expensive. The 400G/S3G will also work with a
compass that has NMEA output.
As for value for the money, I have no idea. I will say however, that used
Raymarine stuff is common on eBay while other manufacturers stuff is scarce.

In article .com,
Akka wrote:

We've got an antiquated Cetrek autopilot aboard our 50-foot, 40000 lb.
sailboat that's developing lots of interesting but not positive quirks
-- for example, it sometimes decides to turn hard left when the proper
course is straight ahead. The electronic part drives a hydraulic pump
that in turn drives a linear piston. My questions:

1. If we change brands, can we continue to use the hydraulic drive?
How about the fluxgate compass?

2. What brand is the best value for the money?

Rob

Simrad's range is highly respected among sailboats.
They sport a simple interface but precise control, and are
NMEA-compliant to interface to a fluxgate compass and possibly GPS
plotter. Of course you'd have to check whether the avaiable equipment
sports an NMEA interface.

HTH

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
http://www.heusser.com

Autopilot Gordon Electronics 15 March 30th 06 10:14 PM
Autopilot Joseph Friess Electronics 2 May 21st 04 12:56 PM
Autopilot Daniele Fuā Electronics 1 January 23rd 04 10:13 PM
FS: Autopilot in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 December 30th 03 09:17 PM
autopilot GAZ General 0 July 23rd 03 03:57 AM