Joseph Friess

Default Autopilot

I have a 1986, 25', Searay Sundancer and would like to add an autopilot. I
checked into the Raymarine Sport Pilot Plus, but it requires a standard
tapered shaft on the steering column. My steering doesn't have a tapered
shaft and is not adaptable to the Sports Pilot Plus. I would have to change
the steering mechanism and cable to get a unit with a tapered shaft, which
would be very expensive.

Has anyone adapted any other units to work with this vintage Searay product?
I have seen some wheel pilots that mount right to the steering wheel that
are designed for sail boats but am not sure if they would work on a power
boat.

Fred Miller

"Joseph Friess" wrote in message
I have a 1986, 25', Searay Sundancer and would like to add an autopilot. I
checked into the Raymarine Sport Pilot Plus, but it requires a standard
tapered shaft on the steering column. My steering doesn't have a tapered
shaft and is not adaptable to the Sports Pilot Plus. I would have to

change
the steering mechanism and cable to get a unit with a tapered shaft, which
would be very expensive.

Has anyone adapted any other units to work with this vintage Searay

product?
I have seen some wheel pilots that mount right to the steering wheel that
are designed for sail boats but am not sure if they would work on a power
boat.

Does your boat have hydraulic steering? I f yes then there are many APs
that will work without needing modification to your basic steering
mechanism. Although they are more expensive then the Sportpilot or
Sportpilot Plus they offer significant advantages in terms of use. Raytheon
makes a variety of models.

Claude Robitaille

Have you considered the Simrad AP12R and AP14R, this could be a very good
solution

Regards

"Fred Miller" a écrit dans le message de

[...]

Autopilot fails on Raytheon ST5000+ with "No Data" error Donagh Cruising 6 June 12th 04 05:01 PM
Question on autopilot Daniel Electronics 7 January 29th 04 09:03 PM
N40 interface for Robertson AP45 Autopilot Andre Huizing Electronics 0 January 26th 04 10:43 AM
Autopilot Daniele Fuà Electronics 1 January 23rd 04 10:13 PM
Jet Boat Autopilot Larry Electronics 18 December 3rd 03 08:59 PM