Joseph Friess

Default Autopilot

I have a 1986, 25', Searay Sundancer and would like to add an autopilot. I
checked into the Raymarine Sport Pilot Plus, but it requires a standard
tapered shaft on the steering column. My steering doesn't have a tapered
shaft and is not adaptable to the Sports Pilot Plus. I would have to change
the steering mechanism and cable to get a unit with a tapered shaft, which
would be very expensive.

Has anyone adapted any other units to work with this vintage Searay product?
I have seen some wheel pilots that mount right to the steering wheel that
are designed for sail boats but am not sure if they would work on a power
boat.