Default Light for 15 HP Merc?

We have a 15 horsepower Mercury (actually, Mariner) outboard for our
RIB. We sometimes use it at night, and want to mount an all-around
white light on the motor. The motor outputs 20-40 V non-rectified,
non-regulated power. We're afraid we'll simply blow out any bulbs
intended for 12-volt use. Short of buying a voltage regulator (way
too expensive), is there any solution to this problem?

Rob

I suspect that putting a diode on one lead and using a 24 volt bulb
would function. The intensity would vary and it would probably strobe
a bit but it would be cheap.

-- Tom.

On 2007-08-02 11:13:13 -0400, Akka said:

We have a 15 horsepower Mercury (actually, Mariner) outboard for our
RIB. We sometimes use it at night, and want to mount an all-around
white light on the motor. The motor outputs 20-40 V non-rectified,
non-regulated power. We're afraid we'll simply blow out any bulbs
intended for 12-volt use. Short of buying a voltage regulator (way
too expensive), is there any solution to this problem?

Rob

Check it's output with a load on it with approximately the same
resistance as a bulb, say about 10 ohms to be on the safe side if my
math's right. (Connect the resistor across the two wires in parallel
with your volt meter)

Those generators are designed for what you want, so it may be working properly.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On Aug 2, 1:25 pm, wrote:
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 08:13:13 -0700, Akka
wrote:

We have a 15 horsepower Mercury (actually, Mariner) outboard for our
RIB. We sometimes use it at night, and want to mount an all-around
white light on the motor. The motor outputs 20-40 V non-rectified,
non-regulated power. We're afraid we'll simply blow out any bulbs
intended for 12-volt use. Short of buying a voltage regulator (way
too expensive), is there any solution to this problem?

Rob

Buy a light that uses a couple of flashlight batteries.

Actually, this was our first (and second, and third) solution.
Unfortunately, the standard version of that light (a) leaks and (b)
vibrates off its screw attachment. W're tired of draining the light
and our little pot of gold for this.

Rob

Akka brought forth on stone tablets:

wrote:

We have a 15 horsepower Mercury (actually, Mariner) outboard for our
RIB. We sometimes use it at night, and want to mount an all-around
white light on the motor. The motor outputs 20-40 V non-rectified,
non-regulated power. We're afraid we'll simply blow out any bulbs
intended for 12-volt use. Short of buying a voltage regulator (way
too expensive), is there any solution to this problem?

Rob

Buy a light that uses a couple of flashlight batteries.

Actually, this was our first (and second, and third) solution.
Unfortunately, the standard version of that light (a) leaks and (b)
vibrates off its screw attachment. W're tired of draining the light
and our little pot of gold for this.

Rob

That 20-40 V is what you see unloaded. Hook up a light and see what it
produces with a load.
bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle

wrote:

wrote:

We have a 15 horsepower Mercury (actually, Mariner) outboard for our
RIB. We sometimes use it at night, and want to mount an all-around
white light on the motor. The motor outputs 20-40 V non-rectified,
non-regulated power. We're afraid we'll simply blow out any bulbs
intended for 12-volt use. Short of buying a voltage regulator (way
too expensive), is there any solution to this problem?

We have a battery operated light akin to a flashlight mounted on a
piece of wood which can be clamped to the stern of the dinghy about 3
feet up. Bob made the mounting mechanism.. We only use it after dark
although we have it with us whenever we go out in the dinghy other
than just next to the big boat..

The dinghy stuff (including a small fire extinguisher if we have the
motor on the dinghy) is in a small bag along with the cable and lock
to lock the dinghy to some stationary object, and a small anchor. Plus
PFDs of course, which we wear (unless we are snorkeling or diving in
which case there is a dive flag).

Buy a light that uses a couple of flashlight batteries.

Actually, this was our first (and second, and third) solution.
Unfortunately, the standard version of that light (a) leaks and (b)
vibrates off its screw attachment. W're tired of draining the light
and our little pot of gold for this.

Rob

Then your next option is to spend the funds to buy a proper regulator and be
done with it. The cheaper route obviously hasn't worked to your satisfaction.
Some folks on a tight budget would probably figure out how to stop leaks and
keep screws secure. That will require thought and effort rather than a lot of
cash. For openers, you could mount the light somewhere other than directly on
the motor. That wouldn't be very hard to figure out, and would eliminate a lot
of vibration related problems. Leaks on something like that aren't very hard to
deal with either. It's not like it's being submerged and exposed to great
pressure... silicone adhesive, rigging tape. Think, McGiver!

On Aug 6, 2:17 pm, " wrote:

Well, the OP said it was "non-rectified" and a diode would take care
of that and halve the volts (RMS), no?

-- Tom.