Default Balky Merc i/o...

I have a 17 foot Doral with an older 4 cylinder Merc I/O. (Old
fashioned carburettor and distributor.)
It's been idling a little rough and stalling at slow speed. Today I hit
a wake fairly hard and the engine stalled.
I've changed the fuel filter and put the appropriate Wynn's stuff in
both the oil and the gas. Haven't had a chance to take it out again. Am
I on the right track or is it something more serious?
Any further input would be most welcome.
Tx
DS

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:44:27 -0400, "D.Smyth" wrote:

I have a 17 foot Doral with an older 4 cylinder Merc I/O. (Old
fashioned carburettor and distributor.)
It's been idling a little rough and stalling at slow speed. Today I hit
a wake fairly hard and the engine stalled.
I've changed the fuel filter and put the appropriate Wynn's stuff in
both the oil and the gas. Haven't had a chance to take it out again. Am
I on the right track or is it something more serious?
Any further input would be most welcome.
Tx
DS

Are the cylinders all making more than 100 psi compression
and within 10% of each other?
Is the ignition timing set correctly with a strobe?
Does an ignition tester show a strong spark?

Yes? Then the carb needs attention.
Float chamber needle valve leaking/sticking perhaps?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Merc 5.0: Not run since '02 Boater1953 General 4 March 27th 07 12:15 AM
Help with bog in Merc 4.3 [email protected] General 2 September 18th 06 02:10 PM
merc 650 & 800 Chris General 1 June 7th 05 10:42 PM
New Merc 9.9 Lloyd Sumpter General 11 November 20th 04 03:53 PM
Which engine for new pontoon, 60 hp merc BigFoot or 90 hp merc Jon General 15 February 6th 04 06:32 AM