Default solo sailor's email

As this is a cruising group and contains little info on actual
cruising, to give those contemplating sailing off shore I am posting
this email from a friend of mine who, like me, is also a solo sailor.

Jack, a US citizen who originally hailed from California, is a retired
deep sea diver who lives aboard his 40 foot ketch which has
registration in Hobart, Australia and which flies the Australian flag
- that's where his US registration expired during a circumnavigation
with his family. He left Chaguramas in Trinidad mid May and sailed on
the inside passage direct for Saint Thomas with a cargo of cheap jam
made from real fruit for some friends.

He prefers uncluttered destinations, always anchors out and has an
aversion to what he terms as "water Winnebagos". He is one of the most
practical and self contained sailors I know.

So, if any of you chance to see his boat, call over and say hello. He
will appreciate a friendly smile.

subject: Greetings from the fairly far north

G'day Peter,

Arrived here at St Peters, Cape Breton Is., Nova Scotia on the 18th
after 14 days of uneventful sailing from St Thomas. almost Virgin
Islands.
Nothing broken or major dramas. It was good to be at sea and now it
is good to be here in a very different environment. Had one of the 2
to 3 days of summer the day I reached and it is lovely here with the
sun shining. I will be moving across the lakes to Bedeck in a few
days and am considering a frolllic to the S shore of Newfoundland and
the French Islands for a baguette or 3. Will see how the weather
develops. Expect to be raising sail for down island where the butter
melts toward the end of October.

So it is with me and Kulkuri.

Hope this finds you well and doing well.

Don't stay away to long -"Sailors and ships rot in port." H Nelson

Take good care and be well.

Fair winds and foul friends, Jack - Ketch Kulkuri

QQ: "Not all who wander are lost." J R R Tolkien

wrote in message
snip...
So, if any of you chance to see his boat, call over and say hello. He
will appreciate a friendly smile.

subject: Greetings from the fairly far north

G'day Peter,

Arrived here at St Peters, Cape Breton Is., Nova Scotia on the 18th
after 14 days of uneventful sailing from St Thomas. almost Virgin
Islands.
Nothing broken or major dramas. It was good to be at sea and now it
is good to be here in a very different environment. Had one of the 2
to 3 days of summer the day I reached and it is lovely here with the
sun shining. I will be moving across the lakes to Bedeck in a few
days

snip...

If I had known on Wednesday, I could have had my cousin give him a special
welcome.
(works on the St. Peter's canal locks that your buddy had to pass through
for the Bras d'Or Lakes)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:09:47 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
snip...
[...]

Hi Don,
I don't think he has gone through the canal yet - I only just got his
email 20 minutes before I posted it here. It would be a surprise
though.

cheers
Peter

wrote in message
As this is a cruising group and contains little info on actual
cruising, to give those contemplating sailing off shore I am posting
this email from a friend of mine who, like me, is also a solo sailor.

Jack, a US citizen who originally hailed from California, is a retired
deep sea diver who lives aboard his 40 foot ketch which has
registration in Hobart, Australia and which flies the Australian flag
- that's where his US registration expired during a circumnavigation
with his family.

How'd he get Australian registration for the boat without being an
Australian citizen? and when he did, did he have to pay import duty ?
Hobart's a great part of Australia. Captain James Cook said it was one of
the best cruising areas in the world.

Cheers

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:03:32 +1000, "JohnM"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
As this is a cruising group and contains little info on actual
cruising, to give those contemplating sailing off shore I am posting
this email from a friend of mine who, like me, is also a solo sailor.

Jack, a US citizen who originally hailed from California, is a retired
deep sea diver who lives aboard his 40 foot ketch which has
registration in Hobart, Australia and which flies the Australian flag
- that's where his US registration expired during a circumnavigation
with his family.

How'd he get Australian registration for the boat without being an
Australian citizen? and when he did, did he have to pay import duty ?
Hobart's a great part of Australia. Captain James Cook said it was one of
the best cruising areas in the world.

Cheers

I'm not sure. It was in about 1986. I do know that he did not have to
pay import duty or any state taxes. He was just passing through and
his US registration had expired. He was able to register it even
though he was neither an Australian resident or citizen. One does not
have to be a citizen of either Panama or Monrovia to register there.
Whilst in Europe which has an 18 month limit of stay for non-EU
vessels, we could have obtained British registry through the mail
without even entering British waters. All we would have required was a
UK address. I could have used that of a friend in England.

I would point out that he has no personal objection to US
registration. He does however feel safer these days with his
Australian one. Mine, being New Zealand registered is even safer -
nobody knows where New Zealand is apart from movie buffs who have seen
"Xena", "The Last Samurai" and "Lord of the Rings". Even then, they
think of us as simple forest and mountain dwellers - totally harmless.

cheers
Peter

wrote in message

nobody knows where New Zealand is

Even then, they
think of us as simple forest and mountain dwellers - totally harmless.

Obviously they have never seen the All Blacks ;-)

Peter HK

Bil Bil is offline

How'd he get Australian registration for the boat without being an
Australian citizen? and when he did, did he have to pay import duty ?
Hobart's a great part of Australia. Captain James Cook said it was one of
the best cruising areas in the world.

Cheers

I'm not sure. It was in about 1986. I do know that he did not have to
pay import duty or any state taxes. He was just passing through and
his US registration had expired. He was able to register it even
though he was neither an Australian resident or citizen. One does not
have to be a citizen of either Panama or Monrovia to register there.

Hmm ... Peter's friend may have a piece of paper suggesting that his
ketch, Kulkiri, was registered in Australia in 1986, but the current
Australian Shipping Register does NOT show a boat with the name
Kulkuri as a current Australia-registered vessel.

Check the relevant page of the Australian Shipping Register at http://
www.amsa.gov.au/Shipping_Registration/List_of_Registered_Ships/Page_29.asp

Something is wrong with this story, Peter!

Cheers

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 02:28:12 -0700, Bil wrote:

Hi,
All I know is that his boat papers show Aussie registration; the flag
he flies is Aussie and the word "Hobart" is carved in teak beneath the
boat's name "Kulkuri", also carved in teak.

It may be that, like mine, it has expired. My New Zealand registration
expired in 2000 after 5 years. I have not bothered to pay the
monumental sum to renew it. At every port in all the countries I have
visited I handed over the original regsitration papers, my passport
and crew list. Very seldom has anyone queried that the registration
expiry date on the papers states 2000. When they have, I merely say
that in New Zealand the original still stands and that I have some
documentation somewhere on the boat to show that it is still current.
A lie perhaps but why should I pay the $1,000 or so for registration
for another 5 years. I can spend the money better elsewhere. They have
yet to ask me to fetch it.

I guess that this will generate a flurry of reasons and comments on my
irresponsibility. My feelings are that boating is over-regulated as it
is, especially in European waters. Also, in New Zealand (at least it
was when I left in 1996), boat registration is only required if you
intend to sail overseas to another country.

In Malaysia, we do not even ask for boat papers. All that is required
is to have your passport stamped. The fact that you arrived by yacht
doesn't really matter - so far as Customs etc is concerned, you could
have swimmed. The Harbour Master's (with Jabatan Laut) dept is not
interested in yachts either. They are more interested in big shipping
and the Indonesian barter trade boats.

The only time I have every been queried about lack of documentation
was upon leaving Cesme in Turkey bound for Greece. The assistant
harbour master would not give me a port clearance as I lacked a
"certificate of competency". A visit to the local Marine Customs
office cleared that up. They told him to look at my passport and asked
him how he thought I got there.

cheers
Peter Hendra

On Jul 22, 6:16 pm, wrote:
[...]

Cheers- Hide quoted text -

Sailor's Tobacco Bob Crantz ASA 2 March 14th 06 07:12 PM
Sailor's Molotov Cocktail Bart Senior ASA 1 December 15th 05 12:20 AM
Sailor's Flu Capt. Rob ASA 7 December 9th 05 05:57 PM
solo paddler, solo photographer Marek Touring 5 March 8th 05 12:30 AM