BrianH BrianH is offline

Default solo sailor's email

wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:03:32 +1000, "JohnM"
wrote:

How'd he get Australian registration for the boat without being an
Australian citizen?

I'm not sure. It was in about 1986.
Whilst in Europe which has an 18 month limit of stay for non-EU
vessels, we could have obtained British registry through the mail
without even entering British waters. All we would have required was a
UK address. I could have used that of a friend in England.

Whilst that is possible, Peter, your registration
application would require you to confirm that you are a
British resident where residency is clearly defined as a
specific period of each year spent in the UK. The penalty
for a false declaration is defined in the explanatory notes.
Your friend whose address you use may also be liable to
prosecution.

I know, I am a British expatriate who has to go into all
manner of legal contortions to register my yacht, based in
the Med. under the Small Ships Register.

Best, B.