Meindert Sprang

Default Does propane hose deteoriate?

"surfnturf" wrote in message
news:I4RBb.654376$9l5.343675@pd7tw2no...
Copper is best where it will not be subjected to bending or flexing. Has

the
lovely property of becoming brittle as it is worked. Probably both

surveyors
were correct in their concerns.

Indeed. I forgot to add "fixed"...

Meindert

Meindert Sprang

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:58:47 +0100, "Meindert Sprang"
wrote:

Mandatory in the Netherlands. The only place where rubber is allowed is

the
shortest possible run from fixed copper to the regulator on the propane
tank.

Don't you hae a loop at the other end also? Does the stove gimbal?

No. My stove isn't gimballed. Hardly necessary on a motorboat.. :-)

Meindert

doug dotson

Comments below

Doug

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
doug dotson wrote:

Well, that pretty much confirms my experience with surveyors.
Maybe I should just use the same one everytime. At least I
won't be constantly change things back and forth.

Why on Earth would you change anything just because some "surveyor" told
you to?

Actually, I didn't change anything directly because the surveyor told
me to but rather that the items were listed under "Required Items" and
the finance company and/or insurance company made me change them.

If any surveyor claims that your boat is not within specs on any
item it is his duty to demonstrate exactly what is wrong, what the rules
or regulations require and what options you have to correct the
deficiency. You paid for a written description of the problems and
verification that they were indeed problems.

I'm not sure all this is true. I did send a letter to one of the surveyors
and got
no response. I also sent a copy of the letter to the finance and insurance
company and also got no response. The changes were more annoyances
rather than heavy hitters.

And all the surveyor's reports contain quite a few disclaimers
You have to take as much blame on that deal as the incompetent
"surveyor" you let lead you down the dock. If this was recent I would
take the survey and a copy of the relevant CFR's and ABYC standards to
him and suggest he pay your costs imposed his incompetence. While you
are at it document the event thoroughly and submit all the information
along with the "surveyors" repsonse to the organization which
"certified" the cretin.

Life's too short to get one's shorts in a wad. I'd rather deal with it and
cruise.
Normal life is hard enough to keep up with while cruising without having to
manage a lawsuit as well.

Small claims court may be an option if you are stonewalled because of
his disclaimers.

As I said earlier, these were not terribly expensive to comply with. It is
just
annoying that there seems to be a lack of consistency in this field.

Rick

doug dotson

Seems that some surveyor's personal preferences get mixed into
what the law or codes specify.

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:10:52 -0500, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

My surveyor said just the opposite. I had the line run in hose and he
said it was acceptable but because it ran behind the cabinets and would
be hard to replace that I should replace it with well supported copper
tube.

doug dotson wrote:

I don;t think copper for propane is acceptable for boats in the US. The
surveyor
made me remove all of it on my boat when we bought it. The
boat came from Canada where I guess it must be OK. He also made me
replace all the copper fuel line as well.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Len Krauss" wrote in message

Agree with Doug's comment. Hope you're talking about a short length of

hose

you can observe regularly. Long runs out-of-sight should be heavy gauge
copper.
Len

It is certainly copper on our boat. There is a loop of hose to let the
range gimbal, and a short piece in the tank locker going to the tank
attachment.

The boat is 22 years old. One of the anchor points came adrift lat
year and I repaired it. No surveyor has ever had a problem with it.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36

Gjo/a

The sound of a Great Blue Heron's wingbeats going by your head