Larry W4CSC

Default Does propane hose deteoriate?

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 02:37:58 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:

Ozone is probably the principal destroyer of most rubbers

Precisely why I keep all my rubbers in those foil packets until
they're needed......(c;

Some jokes just fall right in your lap, don't they?....hee hee.

Wonder if the foil packets are pressurized nitrogen??

Thanks for the laugh....(c;

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

Glenn Ashmore

My surveyor said just the opposite. I had the line run in hose and he
said it was acceptable but because it ran behind the cabinets and would
be hard to replace that I should replace it with well supported copper
tube.

doug dotson wrote:

I don;t think copper for propane is acceptable for boats in the US. The
surveyor
made me remove all of it on my boat when we bought it. The
boat came from Canada where I guess it must be OK. He also made me
replace all the copper fuel line as well.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Len Krauss" wrote in message

Agree with Doug's comment. Hope you're talking about a short length of

hose

you can observe regularly. Long runs out-of-sight should be heavy gauge
copper.
Len

--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.
"doug dotson" wrote in message

Pretty much any black rubber hose will eventually dry rot and start to
crack.
Takes a while though, especially if it is in not exposed to sun (UV).

Doug
s/v Callista

"Jessie" wrote in message

A friend says that standard black rubber propane hose gets old and
goes bad - needs to be replaced. Any truth in this ?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

In fact, here is the whole ABYC spec on propane: See A-1.9.2.1

http://www.abycinc.org/committees/A-01.pdf

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Meindert Sprang

"doug dotson" wrote in message
I don;t think copper for propane is acceptable for boats in the US.

Mandatory in the Netherlands. The only place where rubber is allowed is the
shortest possible run from fixed copper to the regulator on the propane
tank.

Meindert

Gordon Wedman

Nigel Calder recommends copper pipe in his new Cruising Handbook. He does
comment that you need to use flare-type connections and not compression
fittings.

Copper is completely unacceptable for use with acetylene as it forms
explosive copper acetylide deposits in the pipe. Use only hose for your
welding rig g

doug dotson wrote:

I don;t think copper for propane is acceptable for boats in the US. The
surveyor
made me remove all of it on my boat when we bought it. The
boat came from Canada where I guess it must be OK. He also made me
replace all the copper fuel line as well.

Doug
s/v Callista

doug dotson

Well, that pretty much confirms my experience with surveyors.
Maybe I should just use the same one everytime. At least I
won't be constantly change things back and forth.

Doug
s/v Callista

newsOGBb.92582$xV6.62149@lakeread04...