DIVINDAV

Default Blue water cruising boat

Hunters aren't considered a legitimate blue water boat, but what about the
Hunter 37 by Cherubini? It specs out pretty good, except for the engine HP on
some. I've been concentrating on Pacific Seacraft (pricey); Cape Dory,
Contest, Niagara, Rival type boats. The Hunters are priced significantly less.
Jere Lull

DIVINDAV wrote:

Hunters aren't considered a legitimate blue water boat, but what about the
Hunter 37 by Cherubini? It specs out pretty good, except for the engine HP on
some. I've been concentrating on Pacific Seacraft (pricey); Cape Dory,
Contest, Niagara, Rival type boats. The Hunters are priced significantly less.

I don't know the 37, but friends were partners in a Cherubini 34 that we
thought was a reasonable step up from Xan -- until the next spring when
they dumped out of the partnership because of significant structural
problems at only 10-15 years old. The layout was beautiful, but the
execution (layup and materials) was, in my opinion, only good enough for
a few years. [Of course, we consider our 30 year old baby hardly broken
in, so your mileage may vary.]

But "blue water" has many meanings. Our boat's only rated for coastal
and possibly protected waters (I forget), but our insurance company
didn't think 50-100 nm off the east coast -- including off of Hatteras:
breeder of nasty weather -- was outside of her capabilities. Florida to
the Bahamas is trivial in comparison.

I wouldn't hesitate to take Xan or a Hunter in good shape into the
Caribbean down to Venesuala, but I'm a cruiser: If it looks
uncomfortable, I don't move. I actually inspect our rigging, too, since
I expect most of ours is original.

BUT the only boat that I saw in the BVI that failed in what I consider
normal conditions was a relatively new Hunter. A 28 or 32 blew a stay on
one of the most beautiful sailing days I've seen down there. Winds were
about 20 knots and dead steady, and his course was a broad to close
reach. He could have been incredibly inept, but I couldn't figure out
how anyone could blow such an easy sail set, so chalk it up to the boat
just not being up to the conditions.

Which is a long way around to say: "You get what you pay for." The
cheapest boats are such for a reason. Some of the expensive ones may be
inflated by other factors, but the middle-cost boats tend to be
competitive.

--
Jere Lull

Gordon Wedman

I looked at a couple of those early '80s Hunters with cutter rig and
skeg-hung rudder. I thought they were pretty decent boats. I think these
early Hunters were built with more serious sailing in mind and are probably
more heavily constructed than newer models. If its in good condition after
20 years it will probably last a fair bit longer.