Default Dog off dink??

We have a Hunter33 with a ladder on the transom, and a fairly stable 10f
aluminum dinghy. We are thinking of taking our 70lb dog cruising this
weekend but for the life of me I can't see how to get the dog into and
out of the dink from the boat. I given up on trying to stand in the dink
while carrying the 4hp 4stroke Tohatsu and that doesn't weigh any more
than he does and it doesn't wiggle!

Anyone have a good way to handle this?

Stephen

"Stephen Trapani" wrote in message
We have a Hunter33 with a ladder on the transom, and a fairly stable 10f
aluminum dinghy. We are thinking of taking our 70lb dog cruising this
weekend but for the life of me I can't see how to get the dog into and out
of the dink from the boat. I given up on trying to stand in the dink while
carrying the 4hp 4stroke Tohatsu and that doesn't weigh any more than he
does and it doesn't wiggle!

Anyone have a good way to handle this?

Stephen

First of all I'd buy a good quality PFD for the dog... one that has sturdy
handles meant for lifting him back into the boat.
Then I'd pull the dingy along midships and try using the boom as a crane ...
the pfd would act as the sling.
This is assuming your boom is long enough to extend over the side.
If that didn't work, I'd fabricate an 'A frame' type of lift and attach the
base feet to the stern rail so that the dog could be lowered.
Anyway, I'd get the pfd before playing around.. I bought my Springer Spaniel
one a couple weeks ago

On 2007-07-11 15:50:36 -0400, Stephen Trapani said:

We have a Hunter33 with a ladder on the transom, and a fairly stable
10f aluminum dinghy. We are thinking of taking our 70lb dog cruising
this weekend but for the life of me I can't see how to get the dog into
and out of the dink from the boat. I given up on trying to stand in the
dink while carrying the 4hp 4stroke Tohatsu and that doesn't weigh any
more than he does and it doesn't wiggle!

Anyone have a good way to handle this?

Let the dog swim! Then the difficulty becomes getting the dog back
into the boat. Let the dog splash into the water and swim to shore.
(You didn't specify you wanted a DRY dog.) At shore, it's easy to get
the dog into the dinghy. Getting the dog from the dinghy to the boat
may be a problem, although mine could climb a ladder, if that helps.
Place the dinghy up next to the swim ladder and the dog will follow you
up the ladder. (They do have difficulty going DOWN a ladder, and I
remember my father cursing up a storm as he carried a 60 pound dog down
the ladder when he'd left it up against the side of the house and the
dogs climbed it.) My sister swears her malamute went swimming with her
off the boat and climbed the swim ladder from the water back into the
boat, but I've never actually SEEN that!

My difficulty is in convincing the standard poodle that she wants to SWIM.

Ruby
--
Ruby Vee

Focusing on the negative only gives it more power -- Chinese fortune cookie

In article ,
Stephen Trapani wrote:

We have a Hunter33 with a ladder on the transom, and a fairly stable 10f
aluminum dinghy. We are thinking of taking our 70lb dog cruising this
weekend but for the life of me I can't see how to get the dog into and
out of the dink from the boat. I given up on trying to stand in the dink
while carrying the 4hp 4stroke Tohatsu and that doesn't weigh any more
than he does and it doesn't wiggle!

Anyone have a good way to handle this?

Stephen

Did you consider using the toping lift as a hoist?

Good luck

"stormtactic" wrote in message
In article ,
Stephen Trapani wrote:

We have a Hunter33 with a ladder on the transom, and a fairly stable 10f
aluminum dinghy. We are thinking of taking our 70lb dog cruising this
weekend but for the life of me I can't see how to get the dog into and
out of the dink from the boat. I given up on trying to stand in the dink
while carrying the 4hp 4stroke Tohatsu and that doesn't weigh any more
than he does and it doesn't wiggle!

Anyone have a good way to handle this?

Stephen

Did you consider using the toping lift as a hoist?

Good luck

Or topping lift/boom/mainsheet with a sling

"Dry 1" "spots are out "@ Vail's.com wrote in message
A bit of advice if you are able to board the dog, don't feed or water it.

That would have to be one hell of a big dog.

"roger lothoz" wrote in message
Cut it in two part?

That would make quite a mess. I think freeze-drying would be more practical.

In article ,
"KLC Lewis" wrote:

"roger lothoz" wrote in message
Cut it in two part?

That would make quite a mess. I think freeze-drying would be more practical.

Hydrogen balloons...

--
Molesworth

My LaBrisa Dink.... perfect weekend warrior Joe ASA 12 May 31st 06 03:33 AM
new dink just me Cruising 2 March 9th 05 12:13 AM
Advice on Achilles dink - wood or high pressure floor? [email protected] Cruising 5 February 21st 05 01:23 PM
FS: Dink Sailing Dinghy in NY, SOLD Bobsprit Marketplace 0 June 1st 04 01:57 AM
FS: Sailing Dinghy THE DINK in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 May 31st 04 02:17 PM