Default Advice on Achilles dink - wood or high pressure floor?

Folks,

I'm replacing my West Marine dingy with a Hypalon model, probably from
Achilles.

I'm looking at the plywood floor version versus the high pressure
floor. My West Marine dink had the high pressure floor, which was
forever leaking air.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of plywood versus high pressure
floors?

We use this in the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Bermuda and Caribbean, as
tender and dive/snorkeling boat, for a couple of months a year. Kids
treated the former dingy very hard, but they are growing/off-to-college
so it's more a matter of my wife and myself, who need less speed and
are kinder to the boat. But it's nice to plane to head longish
distances for supplies.

TIA,

Jack, Seawind II "Voyager"

Doug Dotson

My former dinky was an Achilles with a wood floor. Over time the cheezy
finish wore away and the wood started to deteriorate. I just sanded them
down and coat them with WEST System. A final coat of WEST with the white
pigment mixed in made it
look nice and protected it from UV. The new owner is still using it and it
still looks
pretty good. I considered replacing the wood panels with Starboard but it
seemed
like the expense wasn;t worth it. If your storage situation will allow it,
consider a RIB.

Doug
s/v Callista

wrote in message
oups.com...
Folks,

I'm replacing my West Marine dingy with a Hypalon model, probably from
Achilles.

I'm looking at the plywood floor version versus the high pressure
floor. My West Marine dink had the high pressure floor, which was
forever leaking air.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of plywood versus high pressure
floors?

We use this in the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Bermuda and Caribbean, as
tender and dive/snorkeling boat, for a couple of months a year. Kids
treated the former dingy very hard, but they are growing/off-to-college
so it's more a matter of my wife and myself, who need less speed and
are kinder to the boat. But it's nice to plane to head longish
distances for supplies.

TIA,

Jack, Seawind II "Voyager"

Harlan Lachman

In article .com,
" wrote:

Folks,

I'm replacing my West Marine dingy with a Hypalon model, probably from
Achilles.

I'm looking at the plywood floor version versus the high pressure
floor. My West Marine dink had the high pressure floor, which was
forever leaking air.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of plywood versus high pressure
floors?

We use this in the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Bermuda and Caribbean, as
tender and dive/snorkeling boat, for a couple of months a year. Kids
treated the former dingy very hard, but they are growing/off-to-college
so it's more a matter of my wife and myself, who need less speed and
are kinder to the boat. But it's nice to plane to head longish
distances for supplies.

TIA,

Jack, Seawind II "Voyager"

Jack, I have had both. The wood floor for more than ten years. I am not
great with maintenance so the fact that wood floor eventually rotted out
is no surprise to me. I used the boat without a floor for a number of
years. I like the air floor. It hasn't leaked in three seasons and I
think it is firmer, more comfortable on my footsies, and better with our
little 2HP engine.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
Keith

The wood floor is going to be an annual maintenance chore. I used to Cetol
mine annually, with a strip and start over every three years. Still needed
some epoxy repair from time to time. No experience with the inflatable
floor, but I'd sure look for a dink with a plastic floor, whether rigid or
inflatable. How about the Boat/US Seaworthy line? Hypalon and built pretty
well.

--

Keith
__