Default Depth sounder calibration

I wonder what would the best way to calibrate a depth sounder.
From what I read most depth sounders default setting are calibrated from
the transducer to the sea bed.
Other prefer to adjust the setting to the water line to the bottom of the
sea or from the bottom of the keel.
I wonder what is the preferred method of calibrating?

wrote:
I wonder what would the best way to calibrate a depth sounder.

The only thing that counts is how much water is under the keel.

Lew

wrote in message
I wonder what would the best way to calibrate a depth sounder.
From what I read most depth sounders default setting are calibrated from
the transducer to the sea bed.
Other prefer to adjust the setting to the water line to the bottom of the
sea or from the bottom of the keel.
I wonder what is the preferred method of calibrating?

I have mine set at the bottom trailing edge of my outboard rudder, being
that is lowest point. That is the zero point and I have the alarm set for
three feet. I want to know the ground clearance rather than how deep the
water is at this point. This carries over from my flying days.
Leanne

Jere Lull wrote:

Obviously, you don't sail the Chesapeake. We spend most of our time in
less than 20 feet; sometimes our speed reads greater than the

depth. We
often raft up with others, so knowing the actual depth is even handier.

Actually, waters that are very similar to C/B, mostly the western 1/3
of Lake Erie; however, Detroit and St Clair Rivers as well as Lake St
Clair can make things very interesting on your way to Lake Huron.

You learn to stay at least a mile off shore, and then head straight in
when it is time to go to port.

The shore line is definitely not your friend.

If you don't touch bottom at least once over the weekend, , you stayed
in your slipG.

Lew

Lew Hodgett wrote:
however, Detroit and St Clair Rivers as well as Lake St Clair
can make things very interesting on your way to Lake Huron.

You learn to stay at least a mile off shore, and then head straight in
when it is time to go to port.

I learned to waterski and jump freighter wakes in the Detroit River. First time I fell I was shocked
to be able to stand in neck deep water 1000' from shore...you see in 1968, you couldn't see the bottom
in 5' of water in the Detroit River!!!