Panama

Default Design of drip lips or tubes for scuppers

I tired of drip marks and stains down the hull topsides from scuppers.
I want to get a solution before I have the boat LP'd.

It seems that I either need to fill in the scuppers and put in
thru-deck scuppers that drain down to thru hulls in the bootstripe -
or put some kind of drip tube or drip lip - either permanent or
removable - into the existing scuppers so that drips would drop far
enough out from the boat to miss the topsides.

I'm concerned that permanent stiff ones like s/s tubes or whatever
might scrape people or poke inflatables while trying to board. Maybe
something flexible like clear silicone rubber sheets or tubes?

Seen any good ideas?
otnmbrd

Ships have fought this problem for years. In their case, "Ospho" has
become the best solution. Everything else, mechanical, has been more
trouble than it's worth.
Find a product that will cause minimal damage to your gelcoat or paint,
and use that .... it may only be temporary, but the long term pain can
at least be minimized.

otn

Panama wrote:
I tired of drip marks and stains down the hull topsides from scuppers.
I want to get a solution before I have the boat LP'd.

It seems that I either need to fill in the scuppers and put in
thru-deck scuppers that drain down to thru hulls in the bootstripe -
or put some kind of drip tube or drip lip - either permanent or
removable - into the existing scuppers so that drips would drop far
enough out from the boat to miss the topsides.

I'm concerned that permanent stiff ones like s/s tubes or whatever
might scrape people or poke inflatables while trying to board. Maybe
something flexible like clear silicone rubber sheets or tubes?

Seen any good ideas?

Jim Woodward

"Panama" wrote in message
I tired of drip marks and stains down the hull topsides from scuppers.
I want to get a solution before I have the boat LP'd.

snip

Seen any good ideas?

No. Thoughts:

Add a rub rail. It's pricey and difficult, but the drips would be clear of
the topsides and you wouldn't have to worry as much about touching something
(one of things that makes it possible for two of us to handle Fintry is that
with a steel boat and a fat rubrail, docking becomes a contact sport. Drop a
bow spring on a bollard and idle forward against it to pull her in.)

Figure out some easily sacrificial thing that could stick out and carry the
drip -- it doesn't have to be a tube -- a long match stick would do it, and
if you break it, you replace it.

Bite the bullet and add tubes to just above the waterline. I don't like the
additional holes in the boat, but it works.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..

Wwj2110

Seen any good ideas?

I went to the hardware store & bought a section of flexible plastic mopboard.
Cut them into a couple short pieces & trimmed it so it would stick out just far
enough to do the job. Glued them on with weatherstrip adhesive.

Doug Dotson

I am faced with the same problem. In addition, the scupper
tubes pass through the bullwarks of the deck and then over
through the topsides. They have developed cracks and are leaking
water into the inside. I am going to make new ones and glass them in
and am thinking of allowing them to protrude about an inch beyond
the topsides. Then fashion a rubber or vinyl boot that will slide over
and clamp in place. That way I can periodically replace them. No
worries about scraping them off while docking since they will flex.
The drip marks down the side of the boat are annoying and poking
more holes is not my first choice.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Panama" wrote in message
I tired of drip marks and stains down the hull topsides from scuppers.
I want to get a solution before I have the boat LP'd.

It seems that I either need to fill in the scuppers and put in
thru-deck scuppers that drain down to thru hulls in the bootstripe -
or put some kind of drip tube or drip lip - either permanent or
removable - into the existing scuppers so that drips would drop far
enough out from the boat to miss the topsides.

I'm concerned that permanent stiff ones like s/s tubes or whatever
might scrape people or poke inflatables while trying to board. Maybe
something flexible like clear silicone rubber sheets or tubes?

Seen any good ideas?

Jim Warren

What ever you do, don't us PVC pipe if rerouting. I bought a boat this
spring and the guy had rerouted the scuppers inside the fly bridge deck. He
was a sharp cookie and didn't realize water didn't run up hill. Need less to
say the PVC broke and caused water damage in the cabin. The only permanent
solution I have come up with is install a stainless steel pipe or pillar to
run the water down.