Default Wind direction in cruising

"Justin C" wrote in message
In article . com, Terry K
wrote:

For those who cannot be sailing, I reccommend this You Tube sailing
kite camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGup...elated&search= the
music is Enya, "Orinoco flow."

I'd be interested to know what kind of kite he used for this, it's got
to be damn stable, and generate a lot of lift to carry the camera. It's
also got to be predictable enough that you aren't going to dunk the
camera. At first I thought it likely to be a rokaku, but they're just no
fun getting in the air; the only other thing would be a big(ish) delta,
but he lets it out so steady, I wouldn't have thought a delta, carrying
weight would be up to the job.

Fascinating stuff, and a great way of filming yourself sailing at minmal
cost.

ooohh! Perhaps it wasn't a kite, perhaps it was a bunch of helium
ballooms tied together!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Don't laugh... you can get a lot of lift from those helium balloons......
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337960/

In article , Don White wrote:

Don't laugh... you can get a lot of lift from those helium balloons......
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337960/

I don't dispute that you can, but I think those images were all smoke
and mirrors

Now this guy: http://darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1998-11.html is one
of the few to make it into the Darwin Awards and be alive to talk about
it. *He* knows how to do this stuff!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
dt dt is offline

Terry K wrote:

Agree.

For denizens here, cruising means sailing with no timetable, schedule
or destination.

A voyage is taking the boat from splash in to mooring. Then the
cruising can begin.

For those who cannot be sailing, I reccommend this You Tube sailing
kite camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGup...elated&search= the
music is Enya, "Orinoco flow."

I love this!

Terry K

That's wonderful! I wonder what sort of kite and camera he was using.

DT

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:18:56 -0500, dt wrote:

Terry K wrote:

Agree.

For denizens here, cruising means sailing with no timetable, schedule
or destination.

A voyage is taking the boat from splash in to mooring. Then the
cruising can begin.

For those who cannot be sailing, I reccommend this You Tube sailing
kite camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGup...elated&search= the
music is Enya, "Orinoco flow."

I love this!

Terry K

That's wonderful! I wonder what sort of kite and camera he was using.

DT

You could ask him he
http://www.youtube.com/chumann1

Mark E. Williams
dt dt is offline

Terry K wrote:

Agree.

For denizens here, cruising means sailing with no timetable, schedule
or destination.

A voyage is taking the boat from splash in to mooring. Then the
cruising can begin.

For those who cannot be sailing, I reccommend this You Tube sailing
kite camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGup...elated&search= the
music is Enya, "Orinoco flow."

I love this!

Terry K

That's wonderful! I wonder what sort of kite and camera he was using.

DT

You could ask him he
http://www.youtube.com/chumann1

Mark E. Williams

Wow, thanks! I'd never bothered digging into youtube.

DT

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:01:15 +0000, Larry wrote:

stormtactic wrote in
:

After almost twenty years of cruising under sail, I have finally

noticed
that the wind is always coming from the direction of my destination.

I see your problem. You have a "destination". Eliminate it and just
sail at the best point of sail to wherever it leads you and you'll be
lots happier, not to mention finding some great new places. Sailors
don't need a "destination".

This is true. It amazes me the number of people I meet that SAY they like
"travelling" but comment "a sailboat is so SLOW!". If you really like
"travelling" then why are you so anxious to get it over with so quickly?

My Definition of Cruising came from a guy who wanted me to take some pics
of him under sail. We sailed around each other for a while, then I asked
"Where ya headed?" He looks past his bow and shouts back "Looks like
Lasquitti!" Now THAT's cruising!

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

"druid" wrote in message
news
[...]

Planned all week to go to Ephraim WI over the weekend. Set sail Saturday
morning only to find that the wind refused to allow us that destination --
at least if we wanted to sail AND get there on Saturday. The winds, however,
were ideal for going to Sturgeon Bay. And just like that, our destination
changed. We had a very enjoyable sail both Saturday and today's return,
enjoying the destination the wind gave us.

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 06:05:25 -0700, Terry K wrote:

Agree.

For denizens here, cruising means sailing with no timetable, schedule
or destination.

A voyage is taking the boat from splash in to mooring. Then the
cruising can begin.

For those who cannot be sailing, I reccommend this You Tube sailing
kite camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGup...elated&search= the
music is Enya, "Orinoco flow."

I love this!

Wow - that was AWESOME! I gotta get/make a kitecam. And the desc says it's
a Dana 24 - who says you need 50ft for open ocean? Looks like he's got it
dialed in pretty good...

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

On Jul 1, 10:34 pm, druid wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 06:05:25 -0700, Terry K wrote:
Agree.

For denizens here, cruising means sailing with no timetable, schedule
or destination.

A voyage is taking the boat from splash in to mooring. Then the
cruising can begin.

For those who cannot be sailing, I reccommend this You Tube sailing
kite camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGup...elated&search= the
music is Enya, "Orinoco flow."

I love this!

Wow - that was AWESOME! I gotta get/make a kitecam. And the desc says it's
a Dana 24 - who says you need 50ft for open ocean? Looks like he's got it
dialed in pretty good...

druidhttp://www.bcboatnet.org

To be fair, it looks like he's motorsailing, his engine is on in one
or two shots, but even so, a cool singlehander and kite.

The takeoff is great bit of editing, it looks like he launched the
kite from the beach and a boat at least a mile offshore. To edit out
two or three frames would make the lie jerky but almost plausible.

Terry K

Wind Generators Barry Gordon General 6 October 28th 06 10:40 AM
36 foot waves forecasted for Florida western panhandle Wayne.B General 39 September 21st 04 06:07 PM
Cruising the Bahamas LaBomba182 Cruising 8 September 5th 03 01:17 AM
Wind or magnetism? Paul General 3 August 14th 03 03:31 PM